Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Using global temp tables
Using global temp tables [message #37503] Tue, 12 February 2002 08:25 Go to next message
LI810
I am trying to create the stored procedure that is using 2 temporary tables.
I created the tables outside the stored procedure. When I populate one table the second table is truncated and the opposite.

Could you please explain why it is happened and how I can avoid it.
I came from the world of Sybase , where temp table are very useful and bring the accumption that Oracle can handle it also.

Thank you
Re: Using global temp tables [message #37504 is a reply to message #37503] Tue, 12 February 2002 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drewmoo
did you create them like this ?
create global temporary table crud (stuff varchar2(2) ) on commit preserve rows;

you should also do a commit after inserting the rows into the temp table.

no idea why inserting into one would cause the other to truncate. i came from an Informix background and have to say that Oracle's methods for use of temporary tables are cryptic ... there really is no such thing as temporary tables ... they remain in the database until you explicitly truncate and drop them.
Re: Using global temp tables [message #37523 is a reply to message #37503] Wed, 13 February 2002 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pratap kumar tripathy
hi,

i could not reproduce the problem .can u give a simple test case..table structure and procedure. i tried, but it is not truncating other table.

here is how i tested

create global temporary table xyz_1 (a varchar2(5) ) on commit preserve rows
/
create global temporary table xyz_2 (a varchar2(5) ) on commit preserve rows
/
create or replace procedure xyz_test as
begin
insert into xyz_1 values('aa');
end;
/

cheers
pratap
Re: Using global temp tables [message #38763 is a reply to message #37503] Mon, 13 May 2002 10:29 Go to previous message
Adi
In most cases a 'exists' or decode command can do the job of temp table but developers will use temp tables to get a kick out of it !!. In SQL or sysbase use the case statement, code may look messy but .. atleast its efficient !!
Previous Topic: returning cursors to ado objects from stored procedure
Next Topic: Installing Sequence
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 20:05:05 CDT 2024