Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » displaying updated rows on screen
displaying updated rows on screen [message #37432] Thu, 07 February 2002 05:48 Go to next message
Vinod
Hi
Iam updating rows through a PL/SQL procedure. I want to know how many rows have been updated. How do I do that. I have counter which I use for commits. I wrote
DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(c_kounter). All it does is after the procedure is completed all the c_kounter is displayed. I want a dynamic display. It commit 10,000 rows the screen should display 10000 rows update it updates the next 10000 it should that. How can I do this.
Thanks in advance

Vinod
Re: displaying updated rows on screen [message #37433 is a reply to message #37432] Thu, 07 February 2002 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pratap kumar tripathy
Hi,

The DBMS_OUTPUT package does not contain any mechanism for printing . it implements a first in , first out data structure.

The third party tool like sql*plus have option set serveroutput on and these tool call dbms_output.get_lines to retrieve the data from buffers only when pl/sql block is completed.so it is not possible to echo the output to screen when pl/sql block is executed.

Hope it helps!!!

cheers
pratap
Re: displaying updated rows on screen [message #37488 is a reply to message #37432] Mon, 11 February 2002 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ripu
Hi,

Within plsql block take count of rows u r updating ( means take from and where clause of your update statement and have count in a variable ); print it with dbms_output.put_line(var_name );

i think this will help u.
Regards
Re: displaying updated rows on screen [message #37540 is a reply to message #37488] Wed, 13 February 2002 09:07 Go to previous message
Vinod
I am sorry I did not follow your reply. Could you please explain it one more

Thanks in advance
Previous Topic: batch processing
Next Topic: HOST() command in PL/SQL ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:49:42 CDT 2024