Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » order by
order by [message #37158] Mon, 21 January 2002 19:41 Go to next message
Balaji
Hi ,
Could somemone help me in retrieving the records in the order in which i insert the record into the table.
By using rowid i was able to get it for the first time. If i delete a record in the middle and insert an other record it gets placed in the rowid of the deleted record. but i want this record to be at the last position.

thanks in advance
Re: order by [message #37159 is a reply to message #37158] Mon, 21 January 2002 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dinakar shetty
HI
U dont have to use order by
if u select from a table records are retreived from the table in the order in which they were inserted other wise if u have a numeric pk u can order by that number
Re: order by [message #37175 is a reply to message #37159] Tue, 22 January 2002 08:03 Go to previous message
andrew again
No, there is no way unless you tag your records with some additional info, like a creation date&time (oracle DATE datatype only goes down to Seconds reolution though, so to DATE datatype isn't really suitable). The whole ided of an RDBMS is to abstract you the programmer or user from the details of where your data is physically stored. Don't try to use ROWID either.
Previous Topic: SQL_TRACE setting
Next Topic: How to read the variable value for table name in pl/sql
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:45:14 CDT 2024