Home » Developer & Programmer » JDeveloper, Java & XML » java.sql.SQLException: No more data to read from socket
java.sql.SQLException: No more data to read from socket [message #365527] Fri, 11 September 1998 12:14 Go to next message
Maurice Muller
For my Java (JDK 1.1) client application I'm using the ORACLE JDBC Thin driver to connect to the Database (Oracle 7.2).

If that connection is not used for about 10 minutes and I try then to reuse it I get the following error:
java.sql.SQLException: No more data to read from socket
at java.lang.Throwable.<INIT>(Compiled Code)
at java.sql.SQLException.<INIT>(Compiled Code)
at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.check_error(Compiled Code)
at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTCInBuffer.getByte(Compiled Code)
at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTIMsg.unmarshalSB1(Compiled Code)
at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.Oopen.receive(Compiled Code)
at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTC7Protocol.open(Compiled Code)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.<INIT>(Compiled Code)
at Oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleConnection.createStatement
(Compiled Code)
at ConnectTest.main(Compiled Code)

If I check with isClosed() from java.sql.Connection it tells my that that the connection is still open.
If I check on the Database side the table V$SESSION it also shows me that the connection is still active.
This connection desapears only from V$SESSION once I close the Java application.

Does anyone know how I can avoid this SQLException (without sending a query all 10 minutes)

Thank You
Re: java.sql.SQLException: No more data to read from socket [message #365574 is a reply to message #365527] Thu, 26 November 1998 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bernhard Kurtz
Hye Maurice, we have nearly the same problem like you. We use JDK/JRE 1.1.5 with JDBC 1.20 for Oracle 7.3.4. and develop a GUI as JAVA-Application. But the problem exists only on customer side. There, the GUI-Clients are connected to the server via TCP/IP and 2*2MBit Ethernet (nearly 200 km) and 100 MBit FDDI(nearly 10 km).
Did you solve the problem already? So, if you have any new informations, please contact me (Bernhard.Kurtz@digital.com)
Best regards :-) Bernhard
Re: java.sql.SQLException: No more data to read from socket [message #365590 is a reply to message #365527] Sun, 03 January 1999 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rupesh Choubey
Hi Maurice and Bernhard,

I am sorry I dont know the answer but I have the same error too. I am trying to read in a large quantity of data (more than 300,000 rows, 20 columns) and it gives me the exception. It works fine if I try 100,000 rows.

Please let me know if you have any ideas as to what I can do. Appreciate it, thanks,
Rupesh.
Re: java.sql.SQLException: No more data to read from socket [message #365613 is a reply to message #365527] Mon, 22 March 1999 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alan Garwood
Out of interest are you using the multithreaded server? I have started experiencing this problem after switching from a database using single threaded to one using multithreaded.

Alan
Re: java.sql.SQLException: No more data to read from socket [message #365614 is a reply to message #365613] Tue, 23 March 1999 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maurice Muller
No, I'm not using a multithreaded server.

The reason for this error is, so far I know, a bug in the Oracle JDBC driver.

I got or noticed that error only after that my DBA modified the Dead Connection
Detection Parameter (sqlnet.expire_time) from 0 to 10 in the sqlnet.ora file on
the server side. The parameter sqlnet.expire_time determines time interval to
send a probe to verify the session is alive. I also found a document about that
at http://technet.oracle.com (see attachement).

I developped my JAVA/JDBC client application for an intern project for my
computer science studies. The project was finished in August so I didn't spent
anymore time for that problem.

As workaround I checked the connection before each transaction. If I got that
specific error I simply assigned a new database connection to my connection
object.
Re: java.sql.SQLException: No more data to read from socket [message #365616 is a reply to message #365527] Wed, 24 March 1999 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dustin Callaway
Maurice,

If you are attempting to connect to Oracle 8.0.3 on an NT server, you first need to install a patch for the JDBC thin driver to work properly. You can find it here:

http://www.oracle.com/database/download/o8_jdbc/html/download.html

I hope this helps...

Dustin Callaway
Uinta Business Systems
Re: java.sql.SQLException: No more data to read from socket [message #365692 is a reply to message #365527] Tue, 31 August 1999 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Partha S. Sengupta
I am facing the same exception while testing my servlet with JDBC thin classes as well as CLASSES111.zip supplied by Oracle (with Oracle8.0)

It worked fine in Oracle7.3 but not connecting in case of Oracle8.0

Partha
Re: java.sql.SQLException: No more data to read from socket [message #365717 is a reply to message #365527] Tue, 02 November 1999 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rajiv gupta
Hi, Maurice
Does your problem is solved? Iam facing same problem when I want to connect to oracle 8.0.3 throug NT server. IF you have the solution please send me.

Bye
Rajiv
Re: java.sql.SQLException: No more data to read from socket [message #366101 is a reply to message #365527] Wed, 15 November 2000 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ajay Bahurupi
Hi,

I am too facing the same problem. Does anyone know about this. In my case is connecting to Oracle7.x but not with Oracle 8.x.
Do I need JDBC driver patch? If yes from where should I download that.

An help regarding this will be really benificial.

Ajay
Re: java.sql.SQLException: No more data to read from socket [message #366163 is a reply to message #365527] Thu, 21 December 2000 18:23 Go to previous message
Lavanya Varadarajan
Did you find the solution for this problem? If you did, please let me know!
I am facing this problem right when I try to connect to the database!!!!!
Previous Topic: Oracle ODBC and Java
Next Topic: Java Jobs in California!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:02:03 CDT 2024