Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Request for a specefic date?
Request for a specefic date? [message #364543] Tue, 09 December 2008 00:57 Go to next message
DrBallard
Hey there again,
this time, I'm trying to make a request for a fictive company which offers cruises.
What we want the request to perform is for a specific date, to list all the customers who are on a cruise, and where they are, if at sea of within a port.
I'm using aquadata studio, oracle 10.1

here comes the code...
select DISTINCT PE.NOM, PE.PRENOM, P.NO_PASSAGER, N.NOM_NAVIRE, CA.NO_CABINE, E.PORT
from CROISIERE CR, PASSAGER P, VENTE V, NAVIRE N, CABINE CA, VOYAGE VO, ESCALE E, PERSONNE PE
WHERE P.NO_PERSONNE=V.NO_PERSONNE
AND V.NO_CABINE=CA.NO_CABINE
AND CA.NO_NAVIRE=N.NO_NAVIRE
AND N.NO_NAVIRE=VO.NO_NAVIRE
AND VO.CODE_VOYAGE=E.CODE_VOYAGE
AND CR.CODE_VOYAGE=VO.CODE_VOYAGE
AND PE.NO_PERSONNE=P.NO_PERSONNE

that is just the linking between the tables.. I really am no clue on how we can make a request for a specific date or to show where they are.
Thanks a ton!

[Updated on: Tue, 09 December 2008 01:01] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Request for a specefic date? [message #364544 is a reply to message #364543] Tue, 09 December 2008 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Why do you refuse to follow the posting guidelines I have altered your post to include code tags. Please add a test case.
Thanks
Re: Request for a specefic date? [message #364545 is a reply to message #364544] Tue, 09 December 2008 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DrBallard
hum, i'm using windows Vista?
Re: Request for a specefic date? [message #364546 is a reply to message #364545] Tue, 09 December 2008 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
DrBallard wrote on Tue, 09 December 2008 07:01
hum, i'm using windows Vista?

What has that got to do with going a reading and following the link that I provided in my post (and that others have provided in previous threads)
Re: Request for a specefic date? [message #364547 is a reply to message #364546] Tue, 09 December 2008 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DrBallard

# Be polite!
# Never belittle anyone for asking beginner-level questions or for their English skills.
# Use English language in the main forum (non-English forums are also provided - see bottom of list) and DO NOT use IM-speak!
# Provide all relevant information about your problem, including Oracle software version (4 decimal places) and operating system version.
# Format your code and make sure that lines do not exceed 80 characters. Use the "Preview Message" button to check it.

Read it, thank you. I really don't see what's wrong.

But hey, thanks for your time.
Re: Request for a specefic date? [message #364549 is a reply to message #364547] Tue, 09 December 2008 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
No Code tags.
No test case.

Good luck.
Re: Request for a specefic date? [message #364550 is a reply to message #364547] Tue, 09 December 2008 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Read it, thank you. I really don't see what's wrong

Quote:
# Format your code and make sure that lines do not exceed 80 characters. Use the "Preview Message" button to check it.

Maybe you should read what you post.

Regards
Michel
Re: Request for a specefic date? [message #364551 is a reply to message #364543] Tue, 09 December 2008 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DrBallard
Maybe it should be explained a bit more clearly what is meant by "format your code".
it means making a cute little box around it? nice. nice. You gotta teach me how to do that someday, but for now it's not exactly why I posted here
Re: Request for a specefic date? [message #364552 is a reply to message #364543] Tue, 09 December 2008 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DrBallard
So many replies, so little information on SQL.
Re: Request for a specefic date? [message #364553 is a reply to message #364547] Tue, 09 December 2008 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
DrBallard wrote on Tue, 09 December 2008 08:06

# Be polite!
# Never belittle anyone for asking beginner-level questions or for their English skills.
# Use English language in the main forum (non-English forums are also provided - see bottom of list) and DO NOT use IM-speak!
# Provide all relevant information about your problem, including Oracle software version (4 decimal places) and operating system version.

Read it, thank you. I really don't see what's wrong.

But hey, thanks for your time.

Huh, you're killing me, honestly.

OraFAQ Forum Guide is much more than these few lines. When do you plan to read the rest of it? If you are uncertain what I am talking about, these sections can be read simply by clicking their names in the Guide (not here!):

• How to get a quick answer to your question?
  • Useful sites
  • Posting guidelines
  • How to format your post?
  • Responding to Posts
  • Performance Tuning
  • All about braindumps
  • Marketplace
  • You have an SQL Question but you don’t use Oracle?
  • Acknowledgments
  • OraFAQ Forum Guide History
Re: Request for a specefic date? [message #364554 is a reply to message #364552] Tue, 09 December 2008 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
DrBallard wrote on Tue, 09 December 2008 08:15
So many replies, so little information on SQL.

Perhaps. But, this Forum works similarly to "The Silence of the Lambs" movie (quid pro quo): you provide useful information, you get the answer. Simple as that.
Re: Request for a specefic date? [message #364555 is a reply to message #364543] Tue, 09 December 2008 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DrBallard
Hey, forget about the code. it is *not the point*, you can even remove it, it doesn't affect a THING to my question.
Re: Request for a specefic date? [message #364557 is a reply to message #364555] Tue, 09 December 2008 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
DrBallard
I really am no clue on how we can make a request for a specific date or to show where they are.

OK then; the answer to the question is like this: include this "specific date" and "where they are" into the WHERE clause of the SELECT statement.
Re: Request for a specefic date? [message #364558 is a reply to message #364543] Tue, 09 December 2008 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DrBallard
Yeah I figured that out.
I should have put more emphasis on the how.

Re: Request for a specefic date? [message #364560 is a reply to message #364558] Tue, 09 December 2008 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
On a physical level, I'd use my fingers and keyboard.

On a logical level, I'd consult Oracle documentation and read more about WHERE clause, DATE datatype, perhaps about conversion functions (from a character to a date) ...

What exactly do you mean by "how"? What IS the problem? How would you - apart from currently not knowing the exact way - do that? Could you write that piece of code? Something like
AND specific date ... <what???>
Re: Request for a specefic date? [message #364561 is a reply to message #364543] Tue, 09 December 2008 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DrBallard
All right, ban me.

But, honestly, you are a bunch of * *. Laughing

[Updated on: Tue, 09 December 2008 08:08] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Request for a specefic date? [message #364564 is a reply to message #364561] Tue, 09 December 2008 01:52 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Now, that's really not the way we should talk.

I really don't know the answer to your question; you didn't provide description of your tables, I have no idea what this "specific date" looks like or what "where they are" means.

Yes, we can chat about dates and passenger's whereabouts, but - it is Oracle we are dealing with. It has its rules which must be followed if we want to get the result.

This Forum also has its rules, which should be followed in order to get the answer to your questions.

As your posts do not comply to either of these, I'm afraid you'll have to
a) change the way you communicate
b) search for the answer elsewhere
c) find the answer by yourself

It is up to you; as far as I'm concerned, I'm quite happy without your fictive tourist agency.
Previous Topic: Trigger error
Next Topic: Deadlock Issue in the trigger .......please do help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Dec 07 22:33:36 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.12034 seconds