Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Passing arrays as an argument for pl/sql procedures
Passing arrays as an argument for pl/sql procedures [message #37005] Wed, 09 January 2002 21:41 Go to next message
sulinder singh
HI,
I need to make a porcedure that could accept arrays as parameters for stored procedures, which can be passed by any front end.

Thanks

Sulinder Singh
Re: Passing arrays as an argument for pl/sql procedures [message #37016 is a reply to message #37005] Thu, 10 January 2002 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suresh Vemulapalli
At present,it is not possible to pass arrays to stored procedures other than forms and java programs.
Re: Passing arrays as an argument for pl/sql procedures [message #37018 is a reply to message #37005] Thu, 10 January 2002 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pratap kumar tripathy
Hi,

instead of procedure try package
e.g.
create or replace package abc as
type a_table is table of varchar2(10)
index by binary_integer;
procedure abc_1(cc a_table);
end;
/

cheers
pratap
Re: Passing arrays as an argument for pl/sql procedures [message #37023 is a reply to message #37005] Thu, 10 January 2002 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew again
You can use a table of scalars. That means that you need to present your record as a delimited string to the client and then let it parse that into fileds.
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:391760::NO::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID,F4950_P8_CRITERIA:208012348074,

http://www.revealnet.com/newsletter-v2/web_apps.htm
Re: Passing arrays as an argument for pl/sql procedures [message #37027 is a reply to message #37005] Thu, 10 January 2002 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sulinder singh
Thanks everyone,
Andrew thats the way i am currently doing (but this is a workaround there is problem when i have to accept dates or numbers with decimal as valid data for array)
what i wanted to know was is there anyway that i can make a front end like pb/vb pass array as an argument to the stored procedure, I guess what suresh said is what i think i will stick to
as about making a package with the type table which is passed to the procedure
It didnt work i had tried it... maybe i should relook into it once again.

Thanks a lot Everyone

Sulinder Singh
Re: Passing arrays as an argument for pl/sql procedures [message #38135 is a reply to message #37005] Sun, 24 March 2002 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashok
Hi Sulinder,
I am stuck at the same place where I require to pass Arrays from VB to Oracle Stored Procedures. Did you arrive at any solution for your problem. If yes, it will be really great if you can send me the piece of code...
Please treat this as urgent. Any answer, positive or negative will be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Ashok
Re: Passing arrays as an argument for pl/sql procedures [message #39733 is a reply to message #37005] Tue, 06 August 2002 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madhavan Lakshmi Narasimh
You can pass a array to oracle procedures through Oracle Objects for OLE(OO4O). oo4o can be implemented in VB. Defin the array 'IN' parameters of the Stored procedures in TABLE TYPE. I know Iam replying rather late. But I had the same problem 4 weeks back and found this solution. May be this will help future web searchers for this problem.
Re: Passing arrays as an argument for pl/sql procedures [message #39775 is a reply to message #37005] Thu, 08 August 2002 23:07 Go to previous message
Madhavan Lakshmi Narasimh
Yes you can, but using,
Oracle Objects for OLE (OO4O).

create a stored procedure with the in parameters and out of Table Type.
using the OO4O pass them. You can install the OO4O form the oracel client for windows disk. You can even do connection pooling with OO4O for effecient performance.
My suggestion is that you use Microsoft OLEDB provider for Oracle for all other operations and use OO4O where ever you want to pass arrays to stored procedures. This way you can have mix and match of both the worlds and getting the best.

check this following code out for oracle side. This has been written for the age old EMP table.

create or replace package tt1 as
type ENOARRAY is table of emp.empno%type index by BINARY_INTEGER;
type ENAMEARRAY is table of emp.ename%type index by BINARY_INTEGER;
type JOBARRAY is table of emp.job%type index by BINARY_INTEGER;
procedure tt2(UBOUND in number, ENO in ENOARRAY, ENM out ENAMEARRAY, EJB out JOBARRAY, RESULTSMESSAGE out VARCHAR2);
end tt1;
/

create or replace package body tt1 as

procedure tt2(UBOUND in number, ENO in ENOARRAY, ENM out ENAMEARRAY, EJB out JOBARRAY, RESULTSMESSAGE OUT VARCHAR2) is
I number(22);
BEGIN
FOR I in 1..ArraySize loop
SELECT ENAME, JOB INTO ENM(I), EJB(I) from EMP WHERE EMPNO = ENO(I);
END LOOP;
RESULTSMESSAGE:='SUCCESSFUL';
eXCEPTION
WHEN OTHERS THEN
RESULTSMESSAGE:=SQLERRM;
END;

END;
check this following code out for VB side. This has been written for the age old EMP table.

Dim oSession As OracleInProcServer.OraSessionClass
Dim oDb As OracleInProcServer.OraDatabase
Dim userPass As String
Dim empno As OracleInProcServer.OraParamArray
Dim ename As OracleInProcServer.OraParamArray
Dim job As OracleInProcServer.OraParamArray
Dim sqlStatement As String
Dim oSql As OracleInProcServer.OraSqlStmt
Dim st As OracleInProcServer.OraParameters
Dim st1 As OracleInProcServer.OraParameter
Dim counter As Integer
Private Sub Command1_Click()
Set oSession = CreateObject("OracleInProcServer.XOraSession")
userPass = "SYSTEM/MANAGER"
Set oDb = oSession.OpenDatabase("VENKAT16", userPass, 1)
oDb.Parameters.Add "UBOUND", 3, ORAPARM_INPUT
oDb.Parameters("UBOUND").serverType = ORATYPE_NUMBER
oDb.Parameters.AddTable "ENO", CLng(1), 2, CLng(3)
oDb.Parameters("ENO").put_Value 7369, 0
oDb.Parameters("ENO").put_Value 7499, 1
oDb.Parameters("ENO").put_Value 7521, 2
oDb.Parameters.AddTable "ENM", ORAPARM_OUTPUT, ORATYPE_VARCHAR2, 3, 10
oDb.Parameters.AddTable "EJB", ORAPARM_OUTPUT, ORATYPE_VARCHAR2, 3, 9
oDb.Parameters.Add "RESULTSMESSAGE", "OUT", ORAPARM_OUTPUT
oDb.Parameters("RESULTSMESSAGE").serverType = ORATYPE_VARCHAR2
sqlStatement = "Begin TT1.TT2(:UBOUND, :ENO, :ENM, :EJB, :RESULTSMESSAGE); End;"
Set oSql = oDb.CreateSql(sqlStatement, 0)
oSql.Refresh
MsgBox oDb.Parameters("RESULTSMESSAGE")
For counter = 0 To 2
MsgBox oDb.Parameters("ENM").get_Value(counter)
MsgBox oDb.Parameters("EJB").get_Value(counter)
Next
Set oSql = Nothing
Set empname = Nothing
Set empno = Nothing
Set job = Nothing
Set oDb = Nothing
Set oSession = Nothing
End Sub
Previous Topic: outer join
Next Topic: Simple Distinct Query not working
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 10:34:43 CDT 2024