Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » giving user/pass in a DBURI call to the database (10gr2)
giving user/pass in a DBURI call to the database [message #361020] Mon, 24 November 2008 19:10 Go to next message
Kevin Meade
I am looking into using the DBURI ability of XDB in the database to easily get XML formatted data out of the database using a web browser. It all works but I have one problem. When I call the databse from HTTP, the XDB servlet makes me log in. But not all my applications have a way to pass a username/password to the call.

So...

Is there a way to include the username and password in the URL when I make the call? I have not found a syntax that works.

Barring that, is there a way to set up the servlet so that it does not require a username/password because it automatically logs in to a given user each time?

Quote:
Hear is the basic syntax the manuals give

http://host:port/oradb/SCHEMA/TABLE

As an example, this works on my box:

http://192.168.99.102:8080/oradb/SCOTT/DEPT

This will pull back all the data in the dept table from the scott schema and it works great, producing the XML data stream and promised. But I get a login screen and must enter the username/password to make it work. If I was using GOOGLE GADGETS for example, I have no way to do that. I have tried various syntaxes for putting the username/password in the url but none work.

Can I pass the username/password in the URL?
Can I set up the servlet to automatically log in to a specific user each time?

I can't see how something like GOOGLE GADGETS can use this if it must authenticate.

Kevin
Re: giving user/pass in a DBURI call to the database [message #361049 is a reply to message #361020] Mon, 24 November 2008 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Can I pass the username/password in the URL?

I don't know the solution to your problem but this seems to me a bad idea as URL can be easly get, from a look at a screen, workstation history, server log, network sniffer...

Regards
Michel
Re: giving user/pass in a DBURI call to the database [message #361262 is a reply to message #361049] Tue, 25 November 2008 10:19 Go to previous message
Kevin Meade
Yes it might be. Unfortunately there is a considerable lacking on the automation side of things for this. How does one automate a process if it requires a person to type in a username/password every time it needs to run?

I found one syntax from a MYSQL site of all places. It seems to work in my oracle instance, but not on my friends. I will do more research.

thanks all, Kevin
Previous Topic: Even & Odd Months
Next Topic: DBMS_RANDOM of LOG. It is possible?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Dec 05 23:50:21 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05997 seconds