Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Forms crashing (oracle 9ds, windows explorer)
Forms crashing [message #356289] Thu, 30 October 2008 04:00 Go to next message
mwangikamauj@yahoo.com

Please help

I have a serious problem with Oracle 9i Developer suite that is seriously dragging the implementation of a project I have been working on. The problem has to do with migration of Oracle forms 4.5 to 9i DS. The application reaches a certain point when the user is working and just crashes! When a user tries to load the same form, it cannot load and displays the message ' ......Your connection to the server was interrupted. This may be the result of a network error, or a failure on the server...........'

I have tried to look up for solutions in the net and what I found suggests that I should recompile the offending trigger and then the entire form and voila everything works. Although this suggestion works, it seems untenable in the long run

Here is an example a dump file I found when I checked the forms90 directory

'...
System Information:
Operating System: Windows NT Version 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
Command line: ifweb90 server webfile=HTTP-0
FORM/BLOCK/FIELD: FRMREGISTRATIONCAPTURE:VEHICLE.ENGINENUMBER
Last Trigger: PRE-TEXT-ITEM - (In Progress)
Msg: <NULL>
Last Builtin: GO_ITEM - (Successfully Completed)

Registers:
EAX:00000000
EBX:0013D444
ECX:00000000
EDX:0013D444
ESI:02B6F994
EDI:00F1377C...'

I identified the offending trigger as PRE-TEXT-ITEM

I wish you could help me by answering these questions:

1. Is this a bug with migrating Oracle forms from 4.5 to 9i?
2. Will the problem occur if I built the application from scratch using Oracle 9i?
3. If this is/was a bug with migrating from forms 4.5 to 9i, has it been fixed in forms 10 or 11?

Kindly help by answering the above questions since I am just about to pull my hair.

Regards,
John
[EDITED by DJM: removed superfluous blank lines]

[Updated on: Thu, 30 October 2008 20:44] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Forms crashing [message #356478 is a reply to message #356289] Thu, 30 October 2008 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Please, either clean the 'enter' key on your keyboard or use a PC based text editor for creating your entry instead of a Unix editor. There were at least fifteen superfluous blank lines in your post and the original was extremely difficult to read.

You say that you did a "migration of Oracle forms 4.5 to 9i DS". Did you do this directly or via Forms 6i?

You said that you were recommended to recompile the program, but you also say "Although this suggestion works, it seems untenable in the long run". If the program works after the recompile, then it should continue to work.

You also say that the failure is due to a 'go_item' in a 'pre-text-item'. Unfortunately, 6i and 9i in particular have stronger validation than 4.5 and as 'go_item' is a 'restricted' built-in and 'pre-text-item' can only use 'SELECT statements, [and] unrestricted Built-ins' it is highly likely that this contravention of built-in type could be your problem.

David
Re: Forms crashing [message #357226 is a reply to message #356478] Tue, 04 November 2008 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mwangikamauj@yahoo.com

David,

Thanks David for taking time to reply to my earlier post. I haven't found a solution yet. A couple of issues in relation to your post:

Oracle forms were migrated directly from forms 4.5 to 9i. Off course, what I did was to open the forms in 9i. In the process, a couple of things are done by the designer automatically such as changing declared types from char to varchar2 (hope I'm correct here). The rest of the code has to be tweaked so that it can work. For instance, I had to change ‘run_product’ to ‘run_object’ when calling reports. Anyway, I have done everything to a point where the forms compile and run correctly. Problems occur when a form crashes because a user was entering data or something. Subsequent attempts to load the same form via the menu are unsuccessful with the application only displaying the error message outlined in my earlier post.

The workaround, I found it is not robust enough. I recompiled the offending trigger on the form, followed by recompilation of the entire form. It works, but imagine a situation where this happens when the application is put into production. The person manning the application will be forced to keep looking at the dump file whenever something like that happens, and then compiling the trigger & form to get the executable! There is no guarantee that the form will continue to work because it can crash on any other control/textbox.

I agree that 6i and 9i have stronger validation than 4.5. However, this error does not occur on a 'go-item' trigger alone, it has occurred on a 'populate-details' trigger among others.

The situation I desire is one in which even if a form was to crash when a user is working, then any subsequent attempts to load the same form should be successful. I mean, do I really have to recompile?

Once again thanks.

Regards,
John
[EDITED by DJM: removed superfluous blank lines again]

[Updated on: Wed, 05 November 2008 18:36] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Forms crashing [message #357554 is a reply to message #357226] Wed, 05 November 2008 18:44 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I see that your keyboard still needs cleaning.

I didn't think that 9i would open a 4.5 form. I have only ever done 4.5 to 6 and then 6 to 9.

Have you done a Ctrl-Shft-k (Compile All) before doing the Ctrl-t (Generate)? You really do need to 'hard' compile and generate your forms this way.

You said "a couple of things are done by the designer automatically". Please be careful, you are working in the 'builder' not the 'designer'. Forms Designer is a completely separate and different product.

You said "this error does not occur on a 'go-item' trigger alone". You MUST change this code to get rid of the illegal operations.

Your thread is listed as using 'oracle 9ds, windows explorer'. You also indicate that you have multiple users. How are they 'sharing' the forms? Are you using an Application Server or are they connecting to your PC?

David
Previous Topic: problem when call form to another form update collumn
Next Topic: how to use many set_block_property - default_where property in one form
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Dec 04 10:40:12 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.09382 seconds