Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL performance when comparing to NULL in where clause (Oracle)  () 1 Vote
SQL performance when comparing to NULL in where clause [message #356166] Wed, 29 October 2008 15:54 Go to next message
bpamarti
Hi Gurus:

I have a SQL query which joins several large tables (so indexes matter here) from Oracle database. In the where condition I use IS NULL with one of the date field values. Query takes 40 sec to run and if I comment this one line...it takes 1 sec to run. This date field is an index on the table and I learnt that --

1. IS NOT NULL in where clause uses an index
2. IS NULL in where clause does not use an index

Is there any work around to make the query faster...other than changing all the NULL date values in the table to some string. In other words can I force it to use the index...

Thanks in advance,
Bala

[Updated on: Wed, 29 October 2008 15:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: SQL performance when comparing to NULL in where clause [message #356186 is a reply to message #356166] Wed, 29 October 2008 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
I dont' know what you learned or who told you this stuff but that is way off base. Let me tell you what I know and where I get it wrong others can correct me (Michel, Frank, Ross, Anacedent, etal.).

Things have changed a lot over the last five years when it comes to how indexes work in Oracle. But last I recall:

Quote:
IS NULL will not use an index.
IS NOT NULL will not use and index.
Most indexes in Oracle are sparse indexes.

Sparse means that if the first column of an index for some given row is null then that row is not tracked by the index.

Consider the following:

Quote:
1) you have a table with 10 million rows
2) all values of column DATE_OF_BIRTH in this table are null
3) column APPLICATION_DATE is mandatory

create index i1 on t1 (application_date);
how many rows are tracked by the above index? A: 10 million.

create index i2 on t1 (date_of_birth);
how many rows are tracked by the above index? A: 0 (this index is empty).

This sparse nature of Oracle indexes was exploited in the early days to take large tables (many rows), and use FLAG fields to create subsets that were easy to access quickly. For example, a credit card proceessor might have 10 million customers, but only maybe one in every 10,000 cards would be a stolen card. A column could be added to the table that would have a "Y" in it for any card that was known stolen and a null for all the others. Then an index created on this column. There are 10 million rows in the table, and maybe only 1000 rows tracked by this index. Working with stolen cards would be real fast.

Today there is another trick that is similar in nature that will allow you to index null values if you want to, but it requires you to change your code to exploit it. It is called FUNCTION BASED INDEXES.

Consider this:

create index i3 on T1 (case when hire_date is null then 1 else null end);

this index effectively reverses the null-ness of hire_date for indexing purposes; null column values generate a 1 in the case expression above, where as non-null column values generate null. If you are willing to change you code, you can write this in order to find all null entries using the index:

select *
from t1
where case case when hire_date is null then 1 else null end = 1
/

Hope this helps. Kevin
Re: SQL performance when comparing to NULL in where clause [message #356281 is a reply to message #356186] Thu, 30 October 2008 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Kevin's suggestion of a function-based index is probably your best best. Another good function to index might be
NVL(THIS_DATE, to_date('99991231','YYYYMMDD'))

An alternate is - if you have relatively few distinct values and low concurrent updates on the table - a BITMAP index which - if memory serves - DO work with NULLs.

Ross Leishman
Re: SQL performance when comparing to NULL in where clause [message #356294 is a reply to message #356281] Thu, 30 October 2008 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bonker
Read this.

http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2006/01/something-about-nothing.html

Re: SQL performance when comparing to NULL in where clause [message #356356 is a reply to message #356294] Thu, 30 October 2008 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
If you are having difficulty understanding the link consider the following:

SQL> drop table temp1
  2  /

Table dropped.

SQL> create table temp1 (a varchar2(100),b varchar2(100))
  2  /

Table created.

SQL> 
SQL> insert into temp1
  2  select lpad(rownum,100,rownum),null
  3  from dual
  4  connect by level <= 100000
  5  /

100000 rows created.

SQL> 
SQL> create index temp1_i1 on temp1(a)
  2  /

Index created.

SQL> create index temp1_i2 on temp1(b)
  2  /

Index created.

SQL> create index temp1_i3 on temp1(b,a)
  2  /

Index created.

SQL> 
SQL> desc user_segments
 Name                                                                                                                   
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 SEGMENT_NAME                                                                                                           
 PARTITION_NAME                                                                                                         
 SEGMENT_TYPE                                                                                                           
 TABLESPACE_NAME                                                                                                        
 BYTES                                                                                                                  
 BLOCKS                                                                                                                 
 EXTENTS                                                                                                                
 INITIAL_EXTENT                                                                                                         
 NEXT_EXTENT                                                                                                            
 MIN_EXTENTS                                                                                                            
 MAX_EXTENTS                                                                                                            
 PCT_INCREASE                                                                                                           
 FREELISTS                                                                                                              
 FREELIST_GROUPS                                                                                                        
 BUFFER_POOL                                                                                                            

SQL> 
SQL> select segment_name,segment_type,blocks
  2  from user_segments
  3  where segment_name like '%TEMP1%'
  4  /

SEGMENT_NAME                                                                      SEGMENT_TYPE           BLOCKS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------ ----------
TEMP1                                                                             TABLE                     384
TEMP1_I1                                                                          INDEX                     416
TEMP1_I2                                                                          INDEX                       6
TEMP1_I3                                                                          INDEX                     416

4 rows selected.

SQL> 
SQL> drop table temp1
  2  /

Table dropped.

As we can see, indexes take up space depending upon how much data (and rows) they track. Index TEMP1_I2 is on an all null column so all rows have no data for this index and so it does not track any of the rows. This is the trick I spoke of before.

Additionally we see where I got it wrong though "wrong" is a relative term. I am pretty sure this was not always the case. I can recall clearly in the "old days" where the Oracle gurus at the time pointed out that indexes which started with a null column value did not track that particular row, and that the IS NOT NULL did not use an index. Maybe it was the RULES BASED OPTIMIZER thing in action. I would also guess that this is a change within the last five years to facilitate the skip-scan index access method. Clearly we see that index TEMP1_I3 starts with a null column yet it is tracking all rows as it has the same space consumption as the TEMP1_I1 index.

Nice link bonker.

Kevin
icon1.gif  Re: SQL performance when comparing to NULL in where clause [message #356416 is a reply to message #356166] Thu, 30 October 2008 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bpamarti
I appreciate all these responses... but I am still stuck.

I have no control over changing or creating new indexes.

To iterate my problem

Quote:
where
DATE_OF_BIRTH IS NOT NULL

This is taking 1 second

Quote:
where
DATE_OF_BIRTH IS NULL

This is taking 40 second

There is a field in the same table PERSON_ID (NOT NULL and INT type) which is again an index...if I add PERSON_ID > 0 at the beginning of the where clause the execution time is reduced to 15 sec.

Thanks,
Bala

Re: SQL performance when comparing to NULL in where clause [message #356455 is a reply to message #356416] Thu, 30 October 2008 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
run this:

select count(*)
      ,count(case when date_of_birth is null then 1 end) null_dob
      ,count(case when date_of_birth is not null then 1 end) not_null_dob
from (your table)
/

to get an idea of how many rows are involved in each situation.

Kevin
Re: SQL performance when comparing to NULL in where clause [message #356459 is a reply to message #356455] Thu, 30 October 2008 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bpamarti
This is the output:

COUNT(*): 950572
NULL_DISCH_DT_TM: 39079
NOT_NULL_DISCH_DT_TM: 911493

Thanks,
bala
Re: SQL performance when comparing to NULL in where clause [message #356461 is a reply to message #356166] Thu, 30 October 2008 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
As you can see, 95% of the data in your table has NOT NULL values. Based on this, an index should not be used for your IS NOT NULL query, as it would only be slower because you already have to look at every row in your table (more or less) anyway so how would an index help you?. This is in fact the expected scenario for IS NOT NULL and explains why the original RULES BASED OPTIMIZER never used indexes on an IS NOT NULL query.

Thus we would expect that the query plan for IS NULL and IS NOT NULL to be the same and the time should be pretty close to identical excepting that the only real difference here is that the IS NOT NULL will push about 20 times more data around if it is done early on in the query, as compared to IS NULL.

Please post the query and query plans for each of the two variations so that we can see how the query plans change.

I suggest you run each query twice using SET AUTOTRACE ON in sqlplus and give us the second of each run.

Kevin x79427
Re: SQL performance when comparing to NULL in where clause [message #356499 is a reply to message #356461] Thu, 30 October 2008 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bonker
Quote:

There is a field in the same table PERSON_ID (NOT NULL and INT type) which is again an index...if I add PERSON_ID > 0 at the beginning of the where clause the execution time is reduced to 15 sec.

In that case can you create concatenated Index of Date_of_Birth and person_id and gather statistics. Then run the query again with condition date_of_birth is null and see if it is picking the index and response time has also improved.

Updated: I did not see that you mentioned that you have no control on modifying or creating new index.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 October 2008 22:39]

Re :SQL performance when comparing to NULL in where clause [message #450025 is a reply to message #356499] Sat, 03 April 2010 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mehrotak
Hi Gurus,
I am working on oracle 10g release.
I am facing little bit similar Problem..

I have a SQL query which joins several large tables from Oracle database. In the where condition I use IS NULL with one of the date field values. Query takes 100 sec to run and if I comment this one line...it takes 7 sec to run. This date field has no index on the table .
My problem is i can not create or modified any index on database because it is production database and i dnt have the privileges on this datatbase.So we can do any thing on Query to improve performance of this Query.

Thanks for your Cooperation...

Thanks in Advance...

Regards,
Akshat
Re: Re :SQL performance when comparing to NULL in where clause [message #450026 is a reply to message #450025] Sat, 03 April 2010 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>I have a SQL query which joins several large tables from Oracle database. In the where condition I use IS NULL with one of the date field values.
>Query takes 100 sec to run and if I comment this one line...it takes 7 sec to run. This date field has no index on the table .
>My problem is i can not create or modified any index on database because it is production database and i dnt have the privileges on this datatbase.So we can do any thing on Query to improve performance of this Query.

So what changes are you allowed to make?

So you want us to tune SQL we can not see, which access unknown tables, and we can't use or change indexes.
Right? Good Luck!

I am sorry to report my bag of pixie dust is empty.

It would be helpful if you followed Posting Guidelines - http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/

[Updated on: Sat, 03 April 2010 10:11]

Re: Re :SQL performance when comparing to NULL in where clause [message #450034 is a reply to message #450026] Sat, 03 April 2010 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Help us out by posting both queries and their Explain Plans.

Ross Leishman
Re: Re :SQL performance when comparing to NULL in where clause [message #450065 is a reply to message #450034] Sun, 04 April 2010 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mehrotak
Hi All,
Sorry for not posting proper information
Below is the whole information related to Query:-

Query without using "IS NULL" condition :-

SELECT TUP.TRIAL_NO,
TUP.COUNTRY_CODE,
TUP.UNIT_NO,
TUP.PERSONNEL_NO,
CASE
WHEN TU.CANCEL_STOP_FLAG = 'Y'
THEN CASE
WHEN TU.TRIAL_UNIT_STATUS <
THEN 'Y'
ELSE 'N'
END
ELSE 'N'
END SITE_CANCEL_FLAG,
CASE
WHEN TU.CANCEL_STOP_FLAG = 'Y'
THEN CASE
WHEN TU.TRIAL_UNIT_STATUS >=
THEN 'Y'
ELSE 'N'
END
ELSE 'N'
END SITE_STOP_FLAG,
TU.HOLD_FLAG SITE_HOLD_FLAG,
TU.CONFIRMED_FLAG,
P.DISCONTINUED_FLAG,
'I' AS INTERNAL_FLAG,
D.PROTOCOL_NM,
TUP.OCCUPATION_CODE AS ROLE_CODE,
SUBSTR
(TRIM (TU.TRIAL_UNIT_REFERENCE),
LENGTH (TRIM (TU.TRIAL_UNIT_REFERENCE)) - 5,
) SITE_NO
FROM TRIAL@CTMSPRS1 T,
TRIAL_UNIT@CTMSPRS1 TU,
PERSONNEL@CTMSPRS1 P,
TU_PERSONNEL@CTMSPRS1 TUP,
CPAC_PROVISIONING_EXCLUDE_EXT C,
D_STUDY D
WHERE C.STUDY_KEY = D.STUDY_KEY
AND C.CPAC_EXCLUSION IN ('X', 'E')
AND D.PROTOCOL_NM =
SUBSTR (TU.TRIAL_ALIAS_CODE,
INSTR (TU.TRIAL_ALIAS_CODE, '-', 1, 2) - 1
)
AND T.TRIAL_NO = TU.TRIAL_NO
AND TU.TRIAL_NO = TUP.TRIAL_NO
AND TU.COUNTRY_CODE = TUP.COUNTRY_CODE
AND TU.UNIT_NO = TUP.UNIT_NO
AND P.PERSONNEL_NO = TUP.PERSONNEL_NO
AND TUP.OCCUPATION_CODE IN (
SELECT *
FROM TABLE
(CORE_CPAC_PUBLISH_PKG.FN_GET_PARAMETER_MULTI_API
('PR_USERPROTOCOL_ALERT_INSERT',
'ROLE_ABBR'
)
))
AND (TUP.END_DATE >= SYSDATE)

This Query is returning only 3 rows and taking 6 seconds to give output.

If we add ( TUP.END_DATE IS NULL OR TUP.END_DATE >= SYSDATE)
means TUP.END_DATE IS NULL in this Query it is taking 1040sec to give output.

More information :- I have attached the explain for both Query.

select count(1) from TU_PERSONNEL@CTMSPRS1 TUP gives total number of record =1562424

select count(1) from TU_PERSONNEL@CTMSPRS1 TUP WHERE TUP.END_DATE IS NULL gives number of record =1481850 , It means Most number of record has END_DATE IS NULL.

please help me to solve this problem.
Thanks for all your Cooperation.

Regards,
Akshat
Re: SQL performance when comparing to NULL in where clause [message #450099 is a reply to message #356166] Sun, 04 April 2010 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
Since for the moment we are reduced to guessing, my first guess is that your stats are out of date.

Notice that the plan expects to get more rows when you add your clause. This is correct because adding ...IS NULL OR... lets more rows from the tested table pass the test and be feed into your query. If your stats are bad and they are giving you grossly incorrect numbers then the number of rows you get when not using the IS NULL may be 15 not 1549 reported in your query. Or the when accepting more rows into the query when using IS NULL, you might be getting 300,000 rows not 3021 as reported in your plan. Either of these would explain your results.

Indeed, you said your "faster" query is returning 3 rows. Then why does the associated query plan say you should be seeing more like 1549 rows? There is a big different between 1549 vs. 3. This is a clear indicator that the optimizer has grossly miscalculated intermediary rowset sizes. For some reason it could not figure out that 3 was a reasonable number of rows to return for this query. This is most often (though not always) because stats are stale.

My first step would be to recollect stats on all tables, then try again. Of course this is risky in a production environment so what you should really do is copy stuff to another environment, collect stats there, and then see if you can reproduce the problem. Given this is a true distributed query, that will require even more work than normal.

I suggest you get friendly with your DBAs who control this data and ask them for help.

Good luck, Kevin

[Updated on: Sun, 04 April 2010 22:20]

Re: SQL performance when comparing to NULL in where clause [message #450171 is a reply to message #356166] Mon, 05 April 2010 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mehrotak
HI Kevin,
Thanks for your Valuable input.

Regards,
Akshat.
Re: SQL performance when comparing to NULL in where clause [message #450172 is a reply to message #356166] Mon, 05 April 2010 10:00 Go to previous message
Kevin Meade
You are welcome. My point with the post is that there may be no immediate performance improvement you can create if indeed you are looking at lots more rows.

It may be the query using IS NULL may be moving around lots more data. Even if both queries eventually return the same 3 rows, it may be that IS NULL creates significantly larger intermediary rowset size that pass through the middle steps of your query. For example, you my be calling that function thousands of times in the IS NULL query and only a few times in the "faster" query.

You can only figure this out by breaking the query up into steps and seeing what each step does.

Good luck. Kevin
Previous Topic: days
Next Topic: ORA-6508 Error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Dec 05 06:52:49 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07683 seconds