Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Assistance with retrieving rows limited by the value of specific fields (Oracle 10.2.0.4.0 (WinXP, sp2))
Assistance with retrieving rows limited by the value of specific fields [message #352768] Thu, 09 October 2008 08:20 Go to next message
drac
Hello everybody,
I have a question concerning limiting the result set of my query.

I have a table Node:

CREATE TABLE NODE
(
NODEID NUMBER(19) NOT NULL,
TREELEVEL NUMBER(10) NOT NULL,
MODULEID NVARCHAR2(264)
)

and a table Module:

CREATE TABLE MODULE
(
MODULEID NVARCHAR2(264) NOT NULL,
SERIAL NVARCHAR2(256) NOT NULL
}

A module can be attached to several nodes in the system with the same or different treelevels

What I've been trying to select is a row for each module in the system with the attached node.nodeid and node.treelevel:
select m.moduleid, n.nodeid, n.treelevel 
from module m join node n on(n.moduleid=m.moduleid))

But I want to limit the search to contain only one row for each module no matter the number of nodes it is connected to. And I want the one with the lowest treelevel. So if the same module is connected to several nodes..

e.g.
a) module m1 with moduleid=1 on node n1 with treelevel=3
b) module m1 with moduleid=1 on node n2 with treelevel=4
c) module m1 with moduleid=1 on node n3 with treelevel=3

..I only want either row a) or c). Either will do, it's the lowest treelevel that dictates.

I think I've found something (just an idea) on the way to do the 'lowest treelevel' bit:
select moduleid, treelevel from node n1 
where rowid > (select min(rowid) 
from node n2 where n1.moduleid = n2.moduleid)

But I need to connect it with the the uniqueness. I thought I could use DISTINCT but I can't as I found out it applies to the entire select list and not just the first entry as I thought (I'm mostly only doing rather simple queries)

I'm mostly a 'select + join + order by' sql user who has had at best sporadic experience with the rest. So if there is anyone out there who has a neat way of doing this or perhaps some pin pointed/specific documentation (that doesn't span 100+ pages Smile), I'd be most grateful. Any help or hints are highly appreciated.

-Maya

[Updated on: Thu, 09 October 2008 08:36] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Assistance with retrieving rows limited by the value of specific fields [message #352773 is a reply to message #352768] Thu, 09 October 2008 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
must you have an actual rowid and row? or can you just take the min(treelevel) by module and be done with it?

Kevin
Re: Assistance with retrieving rows limited by the value of specific fields [message #352777 is a reply to message #352773] Thu, 09 October 2008 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drac
Kevin Meade wrote on Thu, 09 October 2008 16:01
must you have an actual rowid and row? or can you just take the min(treelevel) by module and be done with it?

The row thing was just an attempt I found somewhere which partially did what I wanted, nothing written in stone.
As to the treelevel by module, well that was what I wanted; for each module in the system, find all the nodes it's connected to and get moduleid, nodeid and treelevel for the one with the lowest treelevel value.

I just lack the deduction skills to get there Smile
Re: Assistance with retrieving rows limited by the value of specific fields [message #352783 is a reply to message #352777] Thu, 09 October 2008 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
Then why not use min(treelevel) and be done with it.
Re: Assistance with retrieving rows limited by the value of specific fields [message #352875 is a reply to message #352783] Fri, 10 October 2008 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drac
Because if I use min(treelevel) and have a module on two nodes with equal treelevel, I'll have both returned and I only want one of them. Remember, treelevel is on node, not module.

select m.moduleid, m.serial, n.nodeid, n.treelevel 
from module m  
join node n on((m.moduleid = n.moduleid)
and (treelevel = (select min(treelevel) from node where moduleid=m.moduleid)))                    
order by n.moduleid asc, n.treelevel asc, n.nodeid asc

[Updated on: Fri, 10 October 2008 00:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Assistance with retrieving rows limited by the value of specific fields [message #352890 is a reply to message #352875] Fri, 10 October 2008 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drac
After my fourth day of SQLing this query and getting help from various forums, this is what I've come up with:

select n.moduleid, n.nodeid, m.serial, n.treelevel 
from module m  
join node n on(m.moduleid = n.moduleid)
MINUS
select n.moduleid, n.nodeid, m.serial, n.treelevel 
from module m  
join node n on(m.moduleid = n.moduleid)
where n.ROWID <> (select min(rowid) from node n2 where n.moduleid = n2.moduleid)          

But I've always been told to avoid UNION, MINUS and INTERSECT as they were regarded as heavy usage, should this bother me?

Re: Assistance with retrieving rows limited by the value of specific fields [message #352911 is a reply to message #352890] Fri, 10 October 2008 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
S.Rajaram
Search for Row_Number analytic function and see if that is of any help to you.

Regards

Raj
Re: Assistance with retrieving rows limited by the value of specific fields [message #352913 is a reply to message #352911] Fri, 10 October 2008 04:07 Go to previous message
drac
Thanks, I'll do that Smile

-Maya
Previous Topic: Commit after DDL
Next Topic: algorithms graphs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Dec 09 19:39:06 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.09336 seconds