Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Excel Column Name too long (Oracle 10g, Excel 2003, win XP)
Excel Column Name too long [message #347649] Fri, 12 September 2008 10:05 Go to next message
JRowbottom
Here's a tricky one:

I'm trying to access an Excel spreadsheet from Oracle, largely (I suspect) because I was evil in a former life, and am being punished in this one.

I've got the Odbs connection to the spreadsheet set up, Oracle HS is up and running, and I can see the catalog data for the spreadsheet.

The problem is that one of the columns in the spreadsheet has a name larger then 30 characters long, maning that I can't select anything from that part of the spreadsheet.

Does anyone know a way of working round this.
I thought I remembered a similar question being asked recently about an Access Db, but I can't find it in the search.

Oddly, the names listed in the All_Tab_columns fiew for this spreadsheet don't correspond to anything I can see in the spreadsheet (although the name of this long column guarantees that I'm looking at the right data source).

Help!
Re: Excel Column Name too long [message #347687 is a reply to message #347649] Fri, 12 September 2008 14:58 Go to previous message
Frank
JRowbottom wrote on Fri, 12 September 2008 17:05

I thought I remembered a similar question being asked recently about an Access Db,

Exactly my first thought when I read your post.
Found it (I think): http://www.orafaq.com/forum/m/338412/42935

oh, and the obligatory "Follow the rules, preview your post" and stuff Wink
Previous Topic: Union question
Next Topic: SQL Query
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Dec 07 02:40:33 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.10230 seconds