Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » illegal use of LONG datatype
illegal use of LONG datatype [message #35853] Fri, 19 October 2001 07:45 Go to next message
Tony
I get the below error when attempting the following insert:

UPDATE MAMMO_EXAMS_TEMP SET (REPORT) =
(SELECT REPORT FROM IDX_TEMP_REPORTS r, IDX_TEMP_EXAMS e WHERE e.AC=r.ACC);
ORA-00997: illegal use of LONG datatype

How can I copy this REPORT data from table r to table e? Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: illegal use of LONG datatype [message #35870 is a reply to message #35853] Sat, 20 October 2001 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Milan Kumar Barui
Hi Tony,
You are trying to use LONG datatype in where clause. But it is not valid in oracle. So, avoid using long datatype from where clause and try.
Thanks
Milan

Re: illegal use of LONG datatype [message #35909 is a reply to message #35870] Tue, 23 October 2001 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tony
It appears to me that I'm using the LONG datatype in the select portion of the statement, while using the AC=ACC in the where clause. How can I move this LONG data then? Thanks.

Re: illegal use of LONG datatype [message #35919 is a reply to message #35909] Tue, 23 October 2001 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don Thaler
Use oracle's long raw conversion routine 'utl_raw' to convert to text. You have to create a sql script and use the following syntax
'character_field :=utl_raw.cast_to_varchar2(longvar_field);'

Re: illegal use of LONG datatype [message #35928 is a reply to message #35919] Wed, 24 October 2001 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tony
I've never used this procedure. Do you have an example of how it's used? What type of sql script do I have to create? Thanks.

Re: illegal use of LONG datatype [message #37921 is a reply to message #35928] Wed, 06 March 2002 08:36 Go to previous message
mani
Hey i've yet another question in this regards, can you please tell me, why i dont seem to ACCESS LONG VARIABLE FROM ORACLE 7.3 in my ASP page ? The return recordset gives n error only on LONG datatypes,other wise works fine.
Regards,
Previous Topic: Re: Extremely high Consistent Gets and DB Buffer Gets
Next Topic: Not like Operator
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:53:54 CDT 2024