Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » why cant we insert data, or alter dual table?
why cant we insert data, or alter dual table? [message #343015] Mon, 25 August 2008 20:42 Go to next message
gautamvv
so why cant we insert data, or alter a dual table?

who is authorized to do that/
Re: why cant we insert data, or alter dual table? [message #343016 is a reply to message #343015] Mon, 25 August 2008 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
Please read & FOLLOW the Posting Guidelines as stated in URL above

Re: why cant we insert data, or alter dual table? [message #343018 is a reply to message #343015] Mon, 25 August 2008 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
flyboy
Maybe you will be interested with this article on AskTom: http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:1562813956388.

By the way, did you also try to modify your operating system kernel files? If so, please share your experience with it.
Re: why cant we insert data, or alter dual table? [message #343049 is a reply to message #343015] Tue, 26 August 2008 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dr.s.raghunathan
hi,

is there a table named as dual. if so, does it have some column name, column type and other properties. I was under the impression dual has been used for handling the values does not require store. if so where is the question of update or alter.
May be i am on the wrong foot / assumption. Let me get corrected based on the replies you get. The links provided to you are not accessble for me since all other links (other than orafaq) is prohibited in our system.
In all practical purpose, it is very interesting question i have come across.
yours
dr.s.raghunathan

Re: why cant we insert data, or alter dual table? [message #343051 is a reply to message #343049] Tue, 26 August 2008 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
SQL> desc dual
 Name                             Null?    Type
 -------------------------------- -------- ----------------------
 DUMMY                                     VARCHAR2(1)

SQL> select owner, segment_type, extents, bytes from dba_segments where segment_name='DUAL';
OWNER                          SEGMENT_TYPE          EXTENTS      BYTES
------------------------------ ------------------ ---------- ----------
SYS                            TABLE                       1      65536

1 row selected.

SQL> select extent_id, file_id, block_id, blocks from dba_extents where segment_name='DUAL';
 EXTENT_ID    FILE_ID   BLOCK_ID     BLOCKS
---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
         0          1       2081          8

1 row selected.

I think this answers to your question on reality of dual.

I think you have access to Oracle documentation:

Concepts
Chapter 7 The Data Dictionary
Section The DUAL Table

SQL Reference
Chapter 9 SQL Queries and Subqueries
Section Selecting from the DUAL Table

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Tue, 26 August 2008 01:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: why cant we insert data, or alter dual table? [message #343056 is a reply to message #343051] Tue, 26 August 2008 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dr.s.raghunathan
hi michel,

thanks for your reply. you have to really pity for me. when i try to access the links you have provided the following errors are coming
While trying to retrieve the URL: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/queries009.htm 
The following error was encountered: 
•	Access Denied. 
Access control configuration prevents your request from being allowed at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel this is incorrect. 

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/datadict.htm 
The following error was encountered: 
•	Access Denied. 
Access control configuration prevents your request from being allowed at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel this is incorrect. 

Generated Tue, 26 Aug 2008 18:38:01 GMT by nlcproxy-corp (Squid/2.2.STABLE4)

Re: why cant we insert data, or alter dual table? [message #343057 is a reply to message #343015] Tue, 26 August 2008 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
flyboy
> I was under the impression dual has been used for handling the values does not require store.
Sorry, I do not understand this at all. Storing values without storage requirement? Seems like nonsense.

Just to complete Michel's answer:
SQL> select owner, object_type from all_objects where object_name = 'DUAL';

OWNER                          OBJECT_TYPE
------------------------------ -------------------
SYS                            TABLE
PUBLIC                         SYNONYM
Re: why cant we insert data, or alter dual table? [message #343060 is a reply to message #343057] Tue, 26 August 2008 02:36 Go to previous message
ThomasG

And have you contacted your "service provider"?

Since whoever you work for seems to expect you to work with Oracle, you will have to tell them that you can't do that without access to the documentation.

We can't copy and past the entire Oracle documentation to OraFaq just because some stupid person decided it's the only site you are allowed to access.

But even if you don't have access to the oracle site, the documentation for your database is on the database CDs, too. Are you not allowed to access them also?
Previous Topic: image encription
Next Topic: UTI_FILE: Error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 10 19:00:49 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.09818 seconds