Home » Infrastructure » Unix » Run report in a background (Solaris 10. 10gR2 OAS)
Run report in a background [message #342222] Thu, 21 August 2008 13:23 Go to next message
felix.friedman
Hi everyone. Here is the problem we are having:
Our report server is located behind a reverse proxy with a timeout setting of 10 minutes. However, the reports we are running take longer than that. Consequently the session times out and we lose the report. Is there a way to submit a report request and then retrieve the results at a later time?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Run report in a background [message #342232 is a reply to message #342222] Thu, 21 August 2008 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Run the report locally on the report server itself (or from a box that can connect without a proxy) with wget and save the result to a file for later retrieval could be a way.

Re: Run report in a background [message #342233 is a reply to message #342232] Thu, 21 August 2008 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
felix.friedman
thank you for your response. If i ran the report locally a user still needs to submit a request somehow to trigger the report to run.
Re: Run report in a background [message #342241 is a reply to message #342233] Thu, 21 August 2008 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
No necessarily.

Wget would trigger the report to run since it would send the request to the report server.

For example, wget could request the report while run from a cron job and then mail the resulting report to the user without the user ever requesting anything.

Or a user could put a report "request" into some queue via a web form that starts the whole process off and then mails the result to the user.
Re: Run report in a background [message #342242 is a reply to message #342241] Thu, 21 August 2008 15:00 Go to previous message
felix.friedman
Thank you. I think this might work. I was hoping that there is some functionality in reports that would allow to put the report in a queue for later retrieval, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So spawning a request on the backend server is probably the only way to go.
Thanks for your help.
Previous Topic: can vmware run Solaris sparc
Next Topic: I can't start database ORCL in Solaris
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:44:37 CDT 2024