Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Deleting a row but keeping the Foreign Key (Oracle 10g)
Deleting a row but keeping the Foreign Key [message #341603] Tue, 19 August 2008 08:55 Go to next message
amardilo
Hi,

I am not sure if this is possible or answered elsewhere or makes sense but here goes.....

I have an existing table (i.e. address table) which has an ID column which is used as a foreign key in a lot of different tables (i.e. delivery table).

I need to remove a few rows from this table however there are loads of other tables which reference the rows ID as a foreign key and I can't delete those.

Is there a way to delete these rows without effecting the tables that reference it as a foreign key? Is the only way to drop the constraint or can I alter it in some way to enforce the constraint on Inserts and Updates (and to a lessor extent Selects) but not being enforced for deletes?
Re: Deleting a row but keeping the Foreign Key [message #341604 is a reply to message #341603] Tue, 19 August 2008 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You can set the option "on delete set null" then foreign value are nullified when the parent is deleted.

Regards
Michel
Re: Deleting a row but keeping the Foreign Key [message #341613 is a reply to message #341604] Tue, 19 August 2008 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
amardilo
Thanks for that.

Do you know how I would alter existing constraint?

Is there a way to maintain the ID or stick in a dummy ID?
Re: Deleting a row but keeping the Foreign Key [message #341621 is a reply to message #341613] Tue, 19 August 2008 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You can't alter an existing constraint you have to recreate it (afaik).

No way to have a dummy ID (Oracle does not support "on delete set default" or the like), but isn't NULL a "dummy" ID?

Regards
Michel
Re: Deleting a row but keeping the Foreign Key [message #341623 is a reply to message #341621] Tue, 19 August 2008 10:19 Go to previous message
amardilo
Michel Cadot wrote on Tue, 19 August 2008 10:15
You can't alter an existing constraint you have to recreate it (afaik).

No way to have a dummy ID (Oracle does not support "on delete set default" or the like), but isn't NULL a "dummy" ID?

Regards
Michel

Thanks for the info.
Previous Topic: SQL Function query
Next Topic: how to truncate a specific number range
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Dec 02 23:21:40 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.11523 seconds