Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Deferred Name Resolution
Deferred Name Resolution [message #340388] Tue, 12 August 2008 10:08 Go to next message
annagel
Does Oracle support deferred name resolution? and if yes how? I had never heard of support for deferred name resolution before though it would certainly have come in handy many time in the past. I found it mentioned just randomly reading the FAQ on this site talking about the difference between functions and procedures:

Quote:
Stored Procedure: supports deferred name resolution. Example while writing a stored procedure that uses table named tabl1 and tabl2 etc..but actually not exists in database is allowed only in during creation but runtime throws error Function wont support deferred name resolution.

I have searched all over the place for Oracle and deferred name resolution since seeing that and the only things I can find are verbatim copies of the statement I just quoted and references to SQL Server. So is this a real thing? Or am I chasing ghosts?

Andrew
Re: Deferred Name Resolution [message #340389 is a reply to message #340388] Tue, 12 August 2008 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Apart from dynamic sql, Oracle checks objects at compile-time, so no, it does not support deferred name checking.

/ducks for unforeseen exceptions will start flying around...

[Updated on: Tue, 12 August 2008 10:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Deferred Name Resolution [message #340395 is a reply to message #340389] Tue, 12 August 2008 10:43 Go to previous message
annagel
That's what I thought, so this is really just one excerpt that have been posted and re-posted all over the place just enough to make it seem like it might really exist but obviously never in those few places where is posted you would no for sure it did.
Previous Topic: Need help
Next Topic: External table query
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Dec 07 20:41:29 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.46990 seconds