Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » is there anyway to get the 10g|11g DBMS_CRYPTO stuff for 9i? (Oracle 9i)
is there anyway to get the 10g|11g DBMS_CRYPTO stuff for 9i? [message #331789] Sat, 05 July 2008 09:57 Go to next message
sun_certified
hello forum,

i know about DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT in 9i. but, is there anyway to get the 10g|11g DBMS_CRYPTO stuff for 9i? for example, if i get a hold of {ORACLE_HOME}/rdbms/admin/dbmsobtk.sql from a 10g/11g installation, would it work if i plonk it into my 9i installation? if so, what else would i need to do configuration-wise?

if not, why not?

thanks in advance for your replies.
Re: is there anyway to get the 10g|11g DBMS_CRYPTO stuff for 9i? [message #331792 is a reply to message #331789] Sat, 05 July 2008 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Try it but anyway it works or not does not matter as it is not supported.

Regards
Michel
Re: is there anyway to get the 10g|11g DBMS_CRYPTO stuff for 9i? [message #331798 is a reply to message #331792] Sat, 05 July 2008 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sun_certified
thanks for your reply, michel cadot.

maybe i should rephrase the question:

does the dbms_cryto pkg have any dependencies on any other objects that exist in 10g/11g but that does not exist in 9i?

in other words, would it be just a simple matter of getting the source, compiling it and using it straight away? or are there other configuration steps i might need to take?

can i get somebody to post me a copy of dbmsobtk.sql (plus any dependencies it requires)?

thanks in advance for your replies.

[Updated on: Sat, 05 July 2008 11:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: is there anyway to get the 10g|11g DBMS_CRYPTO stuff for 9i? [message #331799 is a reply to message #331789] Sat, 05 July 2008 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>can i get somebody to post me a copy of dbmsobtk.sql

Requesting copyright violations in public could be a career limiting act.

Advance Security Option is an extra cost license.
Are you licensed to (ab)use ASO?

>(plus any dependencies it requires)?
Are you incapable or unwilling to query DBA_DEPENDENDCIES yourself?
Re: is there anyway to get the 10g|11g DBMS_CRYPTO stuff for 9i? [message #331801 is a reply to message #331798] Sat, 05 July 2008 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
maybe i should rephrase the question:

does the dbms_cryto pkg have any dependencies on any other objects that exist in 10g/11g but that does not exist in 9i?

Maybe I should rephrase my answer.
It does not matter you can't use it in production system.

Regards
Michel
Re: is there anyway to get the 10g|11g DBMS_CRYPTO stuff for 9i? [message #331803 is a reply to message #331799] Sat, 05 July 2008 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sun_certified
Quote:
Requesting copyright violations in public could be a career limiting act

o-o-o-o-h! i'm so scared!

Quote:
Are you incapable or unwilling to query DBA_DEPENDENDCIES yourself?

are you incapable of answering a question without being offensive? or are you just the biggest j_a_g__o_f_f in this forum?
Re: is there anyway to get the 10g|11g DBMS_CRYPTO stuff for 9i? [message #331804 is a reply to message #331801] Sat, 05 July 2008 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sun_certified
Quote:
It does not matter you can't use it in production system.

who said anything about a production system? or support? i assume you meant support by oracle. the thought of requesting support from oracle has never crossed my mind ever since i downloaded it from oracle for free 3-4 years ago to play around with on my sparc box.

[Updated on: Sat, 05 July 2008 11:45]

Re: is there anyway to get the 10g|11g DBMS_CRYPTO stuff for 9i? [message #331806 is a reply to message #331803] Sat, 05 July 2008 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
sun_certified wrote on Sat, 05 July 2008 18:38
Quote:
Requesting copyright violations in public could be a career limiting act

o-o-o-o-h! i'm so scared!

You should.
You think that posting in Internet gives you anonymity?
But now we know where you live and what is your provider.

Regards
Michel

Re: is there anyway to get the 10g|11g DBMS_CRYPTO stuff for 9i? [message #331808 is a reply to message #331806] Sat, 05 July 2008 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sun_certified
Quote:

You should.

i'm shaking in my boots pal! larry ellison (and anybody who looks like him) can bite me!
Re: is there anyway to get the 10g|11g DBMS_CRYPTO stuff for 9i? [message #331810 is a reply to message #331808] Sat, 05 July 2008 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
sun_certified wrote on Sat, 05 July 2008 19:00
Quote:

You should.

i'm shaking in my boots pal! larry ellison (and anybody who looks like him) can bite me!

You may think you are a big boy now, but acting like this in a public forum isn't the smartest thing to do.
I could not care less what illegal stuff you got on your computer, it's just that soliciting for it in a place like this isn't very wise:
- it is very much against the forum rules
- it sounds very very unprofessional (and your reactions even more so)
- it will irritate people in such a way that they will be hesitant with other questions you have.
Re: is there anyway to get the 10g|11g DBMS_CRYPTO stuff for 9i? [message #331811 is a reply to message #331810] Sat, 05 July 2008 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sun_certified
Quote:
..it sounds very very unprofessional (and your reactions even more so)

so? sue me!

Quote:
- it will irritate people in such a way that they will be hesitant with other questions you have

the people here irritate ME in such a way that i would NEVER ask another question here ever again! bunch of uptight, condescending j_a_g__o_f_f_s!

WHO NEEDS YOU?
Re: is there anyway to get the 10g|11g DBMS_CRYPTO stuff for 9i? [message #331817 is a reply to message #331811] Sat, 05 July 2008 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
*Plonk*
Re: is there anyway to get the 10g|11g DBMS_CRYPTO stuff for 9i? [message #331858 is a reply to message #331811] Sun, 06 July 2008 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
sun_certified
is there anyway to get the 10g|11g DBMS_CRYPTO stuff for 9i?

sun_certified
i downloaded it from oracle for free 3-4 years ago to play around

Obviously, you know where to find a more recent version than desupported 9i you are playing with now.

So, why wouldn't you download, install and play with a database which supports DBMS_CRYPTO? You can even keep 9i and use 10g and/or 11g on the same computer, if you wish (just install every product into its own Oracle Home).

By the way, your manners are questionable.
Re: is there anyway to get the 10g|11g DBMS_CRYPTO stuff for 9i? [message #331873 is a reply to message #331858] Sun, 06 July 2008 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sun_certified
Quote:
So, why wouldn't you download, install and play with a database which supports DBMS_CRYPTO?

because i don't NEED 10g/11g! for that matter, i don't NEED DBMS_CRYPTO! it just would be a "nice to have".

i asked a simple question:

Quote:
...would it work if i plonk it into my 9i installation?

a simple, "no that would not work, because..." type of answer is all that was necessary!

what is it about people in this forum that make you ALL jump to all sorts of conclusions - and answer questions that weren't even asked - and make all kinds of assumptions about things you incorrectly read into stuff? i guess that must be the nature of you database geeks. huh? ;¬)

now i know that asking simple questions in this forum is a HUGE waste of time!

Re: is there anyway to get the 10g|11g DBMS_CRYPTO stuff for 9i? [message #331878 is a reply to message #331873] Sun, 06 July 2008 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Quote:
what is it about people in this forum that make you ALL jump to all sorts of conclusions - and answer questions that weren't even asked

Well, the most common reason for this kind of answers is poorly asked question. If only askers took some time and properly described what they want and why, answerers wouldn't need to guess what might be a true reason, hidden behind such a "simple" question.

Quote:
now i know that asking simple questions in this forum is a HUGE waste of time!

For both sides, of course. Yours and ours. I'm truly sorry.
Re: is there anyway to get the 10g|11g DBMS_CRYPTO stuff for 9i? [message #331883 is a reply to message #331878] Sun, 06 July 2008 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sun_certified
Quote:
Well, the most common reason for this kind of answers is poorly asked question.

no! the most common reason for that kind of answer is an answerer who can't admit to himself that he don't know the answer to the original, simpler question; so he therefore feels compelled to make up an answer to a more complex question of his own creation just to compensate for his inability to answer the original, simpler question.

Quote:
If only askers took some time and properly described what they want and why, answerers wouldn't need to guess what might be a true reason, hidden behind such a "simple" question.

it was a simple question! it only required a simple "yes" or a "no" answer! it couldn't have been worded any simpler! but i rephrased it anyway to clarify it.

telling my life story with the details of the events that lead up to me asking the question would only have made the question unnecessarily verbose! and that would have confused the answerers even more than they obviously were!

lessons learned: 1) the subtleties of the english language are sometimes lost on non-native english speakers. what might be a "simple question" to a native english speaker can be "lost in translation" by a non-native english speaker. and 2) never waste my time in this forum ever again!

[Updated on: Sun, 06 July 2008 07:41]

Re: is there anyway to get the 10g|11g DBMS_CRYPTO stuff for 9i? [message #331897 is a reply to message #331883] Sun, 06 July 2008 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Quote:
the subtleties of the english language are sometimes lost on non-native english speakers. what might be a "simple question" to a native english speaker can be "lost in translation" by a non-native english speaker

Unfortunately, that's true ...

If you wish, I may post URL of one of Croatian technical forums so that you could ask the same question using Croatian language. Hopefully, you'll get that "yes" or "no" answer there.

Quote:
never waste my time in this forum ever again!

Don't be silly! Never say never again /forum/fa/4568/0/
Re: is there anyway to get the 10g|11g DBMS_CRYPTO stuff for 9i? [message #331904 is a reply to message #331878] Sun, 06 July 2008 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Littlefoot wrote on Sun, 06 July 2008 14:02
Quote:
what is it about people in this forum that make you ALL jump to all sorts of conclusions - and answer questions that weren't even asked

Well, the most common reason for this kind of answers is poorly asked question. If only askers took some time and properly described what they want and why, answerers wouldn't need to guess what might be a true reason, hidden behind such a "simple" question.

Ah, no!
The way this thread has gone has NOTHING to do with the way the original question was asked; after all, that was answered by Michel in the very first reply.
The reason for this thread going out of hand, was that the original poster
- asked for copyrighted material
- reacted improperly when told so
Re: is there anyway to get the 10g|11g DBMS_CRYPTO stuff for 9i? [message #331908 is a reply to message #331904] Sun, 06 July 2008 09:46 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Oh well, it's just me, a non-native English speaker. I was discussing a common misconception problem, not this one. Perhaps I should have said so /forum/fa/1600/0/.

By the way, what a lousy way to spend a Sunday afternoon ... I promise I'll never do that again*.

Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:53:02 CDT 2024