Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Ideal methodology to use to import data from a reporting tool like web trends into an oracle DB (Oracle 8i/9i)
Ideal methodology to use to import data from a reporting tool like web trends into an oracle DB [message #325806] Mon, 09 June 2008 00:22 Go to next message
oracle_guru
I need some one to help me in implementing the right method to import the data which is there in reporting tools like web trends into an oracle database. The aim is to store the archive data from web trends into an oracle database where we can query the data.

I do not want to use SQL loader. I want some one to suggest any procedures or method we can use.

Thanks!
Anjali.
Re: Ideal methodology to use to import data from a reporting tool like web trends into an oracle DB [message #325808 is a reply to message #325806] Mon, 09 June 2008 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
First off: why do you seek help and exclude the most likely option up front?
Why don't you want to use sql-loader? Is there a specific reason for that?

How is the data stored in your reporting tools? What export abilities do these tools have?
Amongst the various possibilities could be:
- export to flat file and read those as external tables
- create an odbc link from your Oracle database to your reporting tool datastore
Re: Ideal methodology to use to import data from a reporting tool like web trends into an oracle DB [message #325812 is a reply to message #325806] Mon, 09 June 2008 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I do not want to use SQL loader.

Too bad, this the way to do it or using its extenstion: external table.
By the way, why don't you want to use the appropriate tool?

Regards
Michel
Re: Ideal methodology to use to import data from a reporting tool like web trends into an oracle DB [message #325930 is a reply to message #325808] Mon, 09 June 2008 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oracle_guru

Hi, Thanks for the reply. The tool which I am using is a reporting tool which has data stored in the front end as reports used by the end users and at the back end these reports are stored as flat files. We say that the back-end not a true RDBMS but all flat files. So, in this scenario, my goal is write some procedure which will bring the data from the reporting tool into tables created in Oracle data base. I generally want to store the archive data from the tool(previous month, year) into a database and not lost. We are trying to figure out what is the best method to use.

Thanks for providing the ideas of external tables and ODBC. Can you tell me individual steps to follow while implementing them as I am a beginner and want to more about the ideas provided.

Thanks,
Anjali.
Re: Ideal methodology to use to import data from a reporting tool like web trends into an oracle DB [message #325931 is a reply to message #325812] Mon, 09 June 2008 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oracle_guru
It's not that I don't want to use the external tables or any existing tools. I want to import data from a reporting tool which has data stored in the front end as reports and in the back-end as flat files. I want to archive all the data in the tool into an Oracle database and I want to know the steps to follow when I use external tables or the odbc connectivity.

Is there any link where I can see the necessary steps to take while using the above methods?

Thanks,
Anjali.
Re: Ideal methodology to use to import data from a reporting tool like web trends into an oracle DB [message #325941 is a reply to message #325931] Mon, 09 June 2008 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Write your own tool in your favourite language. Oracle and other vendors offer many API, OCI, ADO, OBDC, OO4O, JDBC for almost all languages...

Regards
Michel
Re: Ideal methodology to use to import data from a reporting tool like web trends into an oracle DB [message #325943 is a reply to message #325930] Mon, 09 June 2008 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
If the data is already stored in flat files (the frontend actually isn't that interesting) then theoretically, there is no better way to import them then sql-loader or its descendant external tables.
If you want more info on the topics, check out http://tahiti.oracle.com (Oracle's documentation site) or Google for the terms.
Try to do some research, see how far you can get and report back whenever you're stuck. At OraFAQ we like to see people give things a try for themselves, so if you do have questions in the follow-up, show us that you did so.

Good luck and happy hunting!
Re: Ideal methodology to use to import data from a reporting tool like web trends into an oracle DB [message #325951 is a reply to message #325943] Mon, 09 June 2008 12:01 Go to previous message
oracle_guru

Thanks for all the help! I appreciate it! I will give a try.

Anjali.
Previous Topic: ORA-000979: not a GROUP BY expression
Next Topic: Problem on a simple Where Clause !!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Dec 05 21:27:38 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.11658 seconds