Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » How to convert a file in one characterset to another using pl/sql (oracle 10g)
How to convert a file in one characterset to another using pl/sql [message #321344] Tue, 20 May 2008 00:09 Go to next message
amit.navapara

Hi all,

I want to achieve a functionality as ' To convert a file to different characterset encoding'. And is there any way to know the current characterset encoding of a file. I want to implement all these fuctionality using pl/sql only.

I have tried utl_file package functionalities but coudnt achieve the goal.

Thanks a lot...

Re: How to convert a file in one characterset to another using pl/sql [message #321354 is a reply to message #321344] Tue, 20 May 2008 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
And is there any way to know the current characterset encoding of a file.

No. A file is just bytes, for Oracle (utl_file) is is bytes coding in the server character set.
If you want to convert from a character set to another one, you have to tell your program in which character set is the file.

Have a look at CONVERT function.

Regards
Michel

Re: How to convert a file in one characterset to another using pl/sql [message #321623 is a reply to message #321344] Tue, 20 May 2008 21:23 Go to previous message
TheSingerman
If you really want to convert file charactersets, study the 'tr' tool, and use the o/s for what it is good for.

If by file you really mean table, then you really need to review NLS Language support. Because your request, as stated, does not make sense.
Previous Topic: Using upper() function in outerjoin
Next Topic: Help in Join
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 10 08:43:12 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07997 seconds