Home » Other » General » Undo Tablespace (10g)
Undo Tablespace [message #314849] Fri, 18 April 2008 00:54 Go to next message
balaji1482

hi all,

i created new undo tablespace called 'UNDOTBS_02'. previously it was 'UNDOTBS_01' was created during database creation and the undo mode has been set to AUTO.then i decided to switch to new undo tablespace UNDOTBS_02 using the ALTER SYSTEM SET UNDO_TABLESPACE = undotbs_02; and the command was sucessful.

When i tried to drop the old undo tablespace UNDOTBS_01 it says the tablespace does not exists. but when i query the view dba_free_space it shows me the old tablespace UNDOTBS_01.
i dont want the old tablespace to exist in my database.

please let me know the steps to proceed further

icon7.gif  Re: Undo Tablespace [message #314858 is a reply to message #314849] Fri, 18 April 2008 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gopu_g

hi

An undo tablespace can only be dropped if it is not currently used by any instance. If the undo tablespace contains any outstanding transactions (for example, a transaction died but has not yet been recovered), the DROP TABLESPACE statement fails. However, since DROP TABLESPACE drops an undo tablespace even if it contains unexpired undo information (within retention period), you must be careful not to drop an undo tablespace if undo information is needed by some existing queries

Gopu Smile
Re: Undo Tablespace [message #314868 is a reply to message #314849] Fri, 18 April 2008 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Still randomly choosing the forum you create your topics?

I recommend you to ALWAYS post in "Homework, Training & Certification" one, this is most likely the best choice for your question.

Regards
Michel
Re: Undo Tablespace [message #315050 is a reply to message #314849] Fri, 18 April 2008 14:06 Go to previous message
varu123
Quote:
When i tried to drop the old undo tablespace UNDOTBS_01 it says the tablespace does not exist

Do you see the tablespace in dba_tablespaces?
Do you see the rollback segments associated with that tablespace in dba_rollback_segs along with status?
Previous Topic: Packet Sniffer Picking Up Weird Characters
Next Topic: http://tahiti.oracle.com/
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 21:28:40 CDT 2024