Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Problem with the Oracle Comment's syntax (merged 2 threads)
Problem with the Oracle Comment's syntax (merged 2 threads) [message #314272] Wed, 16 April 2008 04:50 Go to next message
muralimadhavuni
Dear All members of Ora-faq,
The problem is select query is executing twice in my script, eventhough i have written only one. hear u can see what i did.

1. create one .sql file with the below content.
select sysdate from dual;
/*its a comment */
2. goto Oracle sql*plus editor and execute the above .sql file.
3. Ideally it should show the date output only 2 times. But, if you run it, it will show thrise(3 times).
4. but if we modify the above .sql file like below, it will show the date only tice(2 times).

/* its a comment */
the difference between the twwo scripts is, i have given one space betwen first '*' sysmbol and the first word of the comment (i,e its word).

Can somebody explain what Oracle is doing in first case, and why it is printing 3 times, eventhough the select query is only twice.

warm regards
Murali

[Updated on: Wed, 16 April 2008 05:05] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problem with the Oralce Comment's sysntax [message #314278 is a reply to message #314272] Wed, 16 April 2008 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
How is this an expert question?

It is clearly stated in the forum description: "Newbies should not post to this forum!"
Expert notion is defined in the sticky: Not an EXPERT? Post in the NEWBIES forum, NOT here
Rules are described in: OraFAQ Forum Guide
Read them, follow them including what is said about formatting.

As you are an expert, I don't answer the question because you obviously already knows it.

Regards
Michel
Re: Problem with the Oralce Comment's sysntax [message #314296 is a reply to message #314272] Wed, 16 April 2008 05:34 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
SQL*PlusŪ User's Guide and Reference
Chapter 5 Using Scripts in SQL*Plus
Section Placing Comments in Scripts
Subsection Using /*...*/
Quote:
You must enter a space after the slash-asterisk(/*) beginning a comment.

Chapter 12 SQL*Plus Command Reference
Section / (slash)
Quote:
Executes the most recently executed SQL command or PL/SQL block which is stored in the SQL buffer.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: How do I create a mat view with zero length columns ?
Next Topic: UTL_FILE Line Length Problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 03 09:57:11 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06795 seconds