Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Invoke Oracle Form from PLSQL
Invoke Oracle Form from PLSQL [message #311700] Sat, 05 April 2008 17:54 Go to next message
crmoffat
Hi

I am doing some work on an application that has a lot of coding logic stored in forms. I need to create some PLSQL that in effect will replicate one the actions of one of the progam units in the form. Is it possible from PLSQL to invoke a form, so I can just send out a call to that particular program unit? If so, can somebody give me a point in the direction of what I would need to do.

Any further info required let me know.

Cheers

Cameron
Re: Invoke Oracle Form from PLSQL [message #311701 is a reply to message #311700] Sat, 05 April 2008 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Is it possible from PLSQL to invoke a form
>Any further info required let me know.
solution depends upon s/w version & possible OS.

What do you expect to gain by invoking a form from PL/SQL?

The forms should be under some sort of software versioning system

IMO, this is more of an OS challenge than strictly Oracle internals.
Re: Invoke Oracle Form from PLSQL [message #311703 is a reply to message #311701] Sat, 05 April 2008 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crmoffat
I need to create a script that loops through a list of employees, then for each employee it will need to do what one of the program units in the form will do.

I was hoping to be able to call the forms program unit rather than replicate in my script a) because it's a truck load of code that I would have to take across and b) because the form has many different versions in different versions in the application, all of which work slightly differently, however my script ideally will be generic enough to run in any of these versions...

Re: Invoke Oracle Form from PLSQL [message #311704 is a reply to message #311700] Sat, 05 April 2008 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Before you post anything in this forum be aware that this forum is meant for Expert PL/SQL problems.
This does NOT mean that experts only read this forum; 99% also read the Newbie-forum!

So, before posting here ask yourself the following:
- Do I consider myself an expert?
- Do I think the problem at hand is a difficult one?
- Is my problem strictly PL/SQL-related?

if you answer at least one of the above questions with "No" or "Don't know", find the appropriate forum here at OraFAQ.
If all three are answered "Yes", you are most welcome to post here
Re: Invoke Oracle Form from PLSQL [message #311705 is a reply to message #311700] Sat, 05 April 2008 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Please read & FOLLOW posting guidelines as stated below
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/

If you expect answers, then it would behoove you to answer ALL questions posted in response.
Re: Invoke Oracle Form from PLSQL [message #311706 is a reply to message #311700] Sat, 05 April 2008 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crmoffat
Well I like to think I know PLSQL to an expert level. If I made it sound like I didn't know what I was doing, I apologize I was just trying to explain the logic of why I wanted to point part of my script to the code in a form. It's just not something I had the requirement to do before, hence the question.

Problem I think is PLQSL related. I want to know if it's possible to embed in a PLQSL code a call to a compiled or uncompiled Form sitting on the mid tier server. If you think it would be better posted on another forum, e.g. the newbie PLSQL one or on the forms post, just let me know and I will move.

Also, I read through the posting guidelines, I am not sure where I failed to meet the guidelines, however if you could be more specific please let me know and I will ensure any future posts I do meet the guidelines.

Cheers

Cameron
Re: Invoke Oracle Form from PLSQL [message #311707 is a reply to message #311700] Sat, 05 April 2008 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
From Posting Guidlines -
"Provide all relevant information about your problem, including Oracle software version (4 decimal places) and operating system version."

From earlier in this thread -
>>Any further info required let me know.
>solution depends upon s/w version & possible OS.

Nobody but you knows YOUR environment.
We only know what you post.

WHICH version of Forms are deployed that are at the heart of your problem??????????????

Which Version of Oracle DB are you running?

What is Operating System name & Version?
Re: Invoke Oracle Form from PLSQL [message #311709 is a reply to message #311700] Sat, 05 April 2008 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crmoffat
Clients I am developing script for will run in just about every version of oracle db from 9i to 11g, forms 9i to 11g (I do work 400+ clients, all PLSQL development for a bespoke HR / payroll application). Operating system depends on client configuration, mostly windows and unix. Hence why I didn't put down the specific Forms / DB / operating system versions etc, as there isn't really one. Probably don't have two clients that have the same setup (once you through in the version of the HR application as well).

I guess all I really want to know is whether it's possible that I can invoke a form's program unit in PLSQL, and if so a rough couple of steps on how it could be done. If it can't be done, that's fine, I'll just write that component of the script from scratch.

Cheers

Cameron

Re: Invoke Oracle Form from PLSQL [message #311710 is a reply to message #311700] Sat, 05 April 2008 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>I guess all I really want to know is whether it's possible that I can invoke a form's program unit in PLSQL,

At least now we know you are talking about webforms as opposed to Forms6 (client/server).

For webforms, the "code" resides in compiled format on the Application server;
which I suspect that PL/SQL running inside the DB would not understand the compiled format if it could even get to it (which doubt).

>I'll just write that component of the script from scratch.
Good luck with the re-write.
Re: Invoke Oracle Form from PLSQL [message #311852 is a reply to message #311700] Mon, 07 April 2008 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
michael_bialik
IMHO the best solution is to rewrite the duplicate code in PL/SQL and to call PLSQL code from form (and not vice versa).

HTH.
Re: Invoke Oracle Form from PLSQL [message #312080 is a reply to message #311700] Mon, 07 April 2008 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bibsdash
crmoffat

Is the code in the form can be ported to database ? ( or is it heavily dependent on forms variable or forms components? )

I will prefer to have those procedures or PL/SQL in database and you can call those from other PL/SQL routines.

But there is a way you can call PL/SQL and Forms from a Operating System script (example : unix shell script).But I donot know whether it will be relevant to your question.
Re: Invoke Oracle Form from PLSQL [message #312083 is a reply to message #311700] Mon, 07 April 2008 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>But there is a way you can call PL/SQL
only with a SQL client

> and Forms from a Operating System script
wget "calls" the webform but all you get back is HTML
Re: Invoke Oracle Form from PLSQL [message #312085 is a reply to message #311700] Mon, 07 April 2008 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bibsdash
Forms can be called with f60 routines from unix script if the forms version is 6i .
If they are higher then anacedent may be right.

[Updated on: Mon, 07 April 2008 23:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Invoke Oracle Form from PLSQL [message #312087 is a reply to message #311709] Mon, 07 April 2008 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
crmoffat wrote on Sat, 05 April 2008 18:12
Clients I am developing script for will run in just about every version of oracle db from 9i to 11g, forms 9i to 11g

So why muddy the waters with diversions involving Forms6?

PLEASE keep on topic
Re: Invoke Oracle Form from PLSQL [message #312091 is a reply to message #311700] Mon, 07 April 2008 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bibsdash
Then the best solution is to open the form, convert it into fmt ( text version) or find out all the related PL/SQL.Convert to database package and call from other PL/SQL routines.
Re: Invoke Oracle Form from PLSQL [message #312097 is a reply to message #311700] Mon, 07 April 2008 23:50 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
>Then the best solution is to open the form
Too bad folks do not make use of source code control systems,
which already exist as text files which can be easily "digested".
Previous Topic: Oracle PL/SQL Batch Processing Reports
Next Topic: finding primary key
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Dec 07 04:58:52 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.16943 seconds