Home » Other » Training & Certification » some questions around OCP 11g DBA and OCE SQL Tuning
some questions around OCP 11g DBA and OCE SQL Tuning [message #590056] Sat, 13 July 2013 16:00 Go to previous message
hdet
I have used the Oracle Press exam books and Matthew Morris' Prep Series. Mr Morris' web site pointed to this forum, where I see a lively exchange on cert topics. I would like to ask the advice of participants here.

After many years of working with Oracle but putting off certification, I buckled down this year and managed to pass exams for OCE SQL, OCP Adv PL/SQL, and OCA 11g DBA. My remaining goals at this point are to pass OCP 11g DBA and maybe add the new OCE SQL Tuning.

For further context around my following questions, I was a hands-on DBA Manager about ten years ago (8i and 9i), and for the past ten years doing various IT functions and developing in PL/SQL (mostly 10g, some 11g) but hardly any DBA work. I was recently laid off due to downsizing, and am now strategizing how to become employed again. Thankfully, I can put some certs on my resume.

1. Between OCP 11g DBA and OCE SQL Tuning, which do you think will give the most bang for the buck in job searching?

2. If I go for the DBA cert, I have to take an Oracle class. Would "Oracle Database 11g: Administration Workshop II Release 2" ($3500) help me pass the OCP exam? If not very helpful, I would look at alternatives that could help on the SQL Tuning exam or might be of interest to employers (next questions).

3. For the OCE SQL Tuning exam, Oracle suggests either of two classes: "Oracle Database 11g: SQL Tuning Workshop Release 2" ($2100) or "Oracle SQL Tuning for Developers Workshop" ($2100). I'd appreciate input if you know from experience or have a sense of the differences between these two classes: Is one of the classes targeted to a more skilled audience? Is one of the classes a better fit for the SQL Tuning exam?

4. The other class I'd consider to satisfy the course reqt for OCP DBA is "Oracle Database 11g: Data Warehousing Fundamentals" ($2100). My guess though is that I could learn most of the content from the Oracle docs, whereas that would be harder to do for SQL tuning, making a SQL tuning course a better value for my dollars. Do you think so, or do you think employers see some DW training/knowledge as valuable?

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message