Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Re: Temp Tablespace not being flushed automatically
Re: Temp Tablespace not being flushed automatically [message #50830] Tue, 09 April 2002 17:31 Go to previous message
Kishore
Thank you and that's very interesting to know. I never tried that. In my explanation what I am suggesting is one does not have to shutdown the database (shutting down, cleans up temp segment anyway without any doubt). But while the database is running, Oracle (SMON) automatically clean up the temporary segment but leaves the extents alone so that other sessions could use them without allocating again. Eventhough these free extents are reusable, it is highly possible that some transactions/sessions may demand more space than allocated to tablespace. In this case only option is to increase the temporary tablespace size.
Anyway, could you please provide the link and/or document and/or explanation of how it could free up temporary tablespace when it's parameter PCTINCREASE is set 0. Also, the usual practice is to keep PCTINCREASE 0 for a temporary tablepace for performance reasons anyway. Do I need to 'alter' PCTINCREASE to '0', even if it is already '0' to make this happen?
Thank you very much,
Kishore

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: doubt in password file
Next Topic: Datadictionary views
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:39:54 CDT 2024