Home » Other » Marketplace » You work with SQL application? Here are the books you need
You work with SQL application? Here are the books you need [message #382787] Sat, 24 January 2009 11:56 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I'd like to talk about two books I recently read about SQL and database applications I think there are the most useful ones for people that have to design or work with this kind of applications.
To quote what the author says with humour in his latest Youtube presentation about indexes:

Quote:
I wrote two books, one about how I think one should write SQL and more recently a second one, more relevant to what takes most of my professional time namely improving SQL applications written by people who have obviously not read my first book.
Stephane Faroult works on SQL and database since 1983 and his experience and skills in this domain are tremendous. He wrote the first Oracle France performance and tuning course in 1987. You can see and hear him on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/roughsealtd) and read some notes about him on Tom Kyte's blog:
http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2008/02/word-pathetic-never-sounded-so-good.html
http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/01/all-about-joins.html

The first book, The Art of SQL, takes the same plan than Sun Tzu's treatise, The Art of War, and explain how to prepare a SQL application design like a military campaign. His humour and style are great and you will find the substance is even greater. To quote Antoni Molinaro (author of SQL Cookbook):

Quote:
A truly 'smart' SQL book that tackles problems you will encounter as a database professional, focusing on what's real, not what's in a classroom.
I think this book should be provided with each SQL course.

The second book, Refactoring SQL Applications, explains what you can do when your database applications don't reach the expected performances. It explains step by step how to modify the application to increase performances starting with checking whether and where you can obtain some gains then going from quick fixes to deeper and deeper modifications, pointing that you can stop at any step if you reach reasonably performances.
If the first book explains how to design a SQL application, the second one greatly helps the professional in her every day application improvement task.
You can see a small application of this book in his Rewriting SQL queries for Performance in 9 minutes video

Now I can't think of any professional living without these two books. You think I am obliging toward Stephane Faroult and his books, I'm not. I'm always read critically the books I buy (and I bought some on SQL that I should say they are the way to not tackle SQL optimisation).
The only advice I could give is: buy them, read them and read them again, each time you will find new things and you will say to yourself as I do "Hey! this is my current problem".

The Art of SQL
  1. Laying Plans - Designing Databases for Performances
  2. Waging War - Accessing Databases Efficiently
  3. Tactical Dispositions - Indexing
  4. Maneuvering - Thinking SQL Statements
  5. Terrain - Understanding Physical Implementation
  6. The Nine Situations - Recognizing Classic SQL Patterns
  7. Variations in Tactics - Dealing with Hierarchical Data
  8. Weaknesses and Strengths - Recognizing and Handling Difficult Cases
  9. Multiple Fronts - Tackling Concurrency
  10. Assembly of Forces - Coping with Large Volume of Data
  11. Stratagems - Trying to Salvage Response Times
  12. Employment of Spies - Monitoring Performances
Refactoring SQL Applications
  1. Assessment
  2. Sanity Checks
  3. User Functions and Views
  4. Testing Framework
  5. Statement Refactoring
  6. Task Refactoring
  7. Refactoring Flows and Databases
  8. How it works refactoring in practice

He wrote a new book: SQL Success - Database Programming Proficiency, see below.
And he wrote once more: Getting the Message Across, see below.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 January 2017 11:39]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message