Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » Site statistics
Re: Site statistics [message #438165 is a reply to message #438146] Thu, 07 January 2010 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
I too completely agree with Maaher and JRowbottom.
Agreeing on not providing solutions for the most blatant homework issues is not the same as not giving solutions at all. I think a lot of posters (maybe not the ones asking questions, but the ones answering them) are scared away by the "THOU SHALT NOT ANSWER" critics.
Add to that the already mentioned default critics on new questions, and you have a place far less friendly then it was some years ago.
Re: Site statistics [message #438169 is a reply to message #438165] Thu, 07 January 2010 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Agreeing on not providing solutions for the most blatant homework issues is not the same as not giving solutions at all.

I agree with that but the point was not that in this topic. It was that we provided hints to OP, we were waiting he posts something from what he found/tried before posting something more this is what we usually did.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Thu, 07 January 2010 05:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Site statistics [message #452833 is a reply to message #437853] Sun, 25 April 2010 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Forum site statistics page has been updated.
Sorry for this late update but I was quite busy this month so new stuff this time.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Sun, 25 April 2010 05:00]

Re: Site statistics [message #456731 is a reply to message #452833] Wed, 19 May 2010 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
/forum/fa/7819/0/

Figures are more or less the same as previously - nothing much changed, and if something did change, it were decimals. I guess that it is expected.

[Updated on: Wed, 19 May 2010 06:42]

Re: Site statistics [message #456773 is a reply to message #456731] Wed, 19 May 2010 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
As you took the statistics from the beginning there is very few chances the percentages change.
Maybe you could take the last 12 months ones.

Regards
Michel
Re: Site statistics [message #464760 is a reply to message #452833] Fri, 09 July 2010 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Forum site statistics page has been updated with last quarter data.

Regards
Michel
Re: Site statistics [message #489424 is a reply to message #464760] Sun, 16 January 2011 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Forum site statistics page has been updated and contains whole 2010 data.

For those who are interesting in this, I can provide a new feature: personal statistics.
As I will not provide different statistics and/or charts to each one, I open the question to which ones you are interesting in.
Here are a couple of examples which are not exclusive:
- raw data (as a csv file) with number of posts each day in each forum
- summary data (number of posts per month, number of posts per forum...)
- charts like the ones in the Forum site statistics page, choose which ones you are interesting in
The most asked ones are those I will provide.
Next, which way do you prefer to get them:
- PM
- Update of your personal wiki page, see mine as an example. Remember that your personal page is public, so if you don't want to show your statistics forget this option.

Waiting for your comments...

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Sun, 16 January 2011 10:18]

Re: Site statistics [message #489433 is a reply to message #489424] Sun, 16 January 2011 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
A sterling job, as usual. Thanks Michel!
Re: Site statistics [message #489434 is a reply to message #489424] Sun, 16 January 2011 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Michel,

When I click on any of the links that you provided, all I get is a page that says:

Quote:

There is currently no text in this page, you can search for this page title in other pages or edit this page.

Re: Site statistics [message #489440 is a reply to message #489434] Sun, 16 January 2011 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Thanks Barbara, I fixed the links.
It is weird as the links were correct when I first wrote the post, I think "Preview" scrambled them. Tell me if you see them as well.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Sun, 16 January 2011 10:21]

Re: Site statistics [message #489449 is a reply to message #489440] Sun, 16 January 2011 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
Good Job Michel!
Can you provide me My personal stats as a form of "summary data (number of posts per month, number of posts per forum..."
By PM

Sriram
Re: Site statistics [message #489450 is a reply to message #489440] Sun, 16 January 2011 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Personal statistics - yes, please!

I like the CSV idea; having such an information, it is easy to compute any kind of statistics (which we'd do by ourselves, of course).
Re: Site statistics [message #489451 is a reply to message #489440] Sun, 16 January 2011 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Michel,

The links work now. Thanks.

I have a request. It isn't anything urgent or important, just something to consider if you have some extra time. Could you show the top users for each forum, something like they do now on the OTN forums? Sometimes code is clearer than description, so please see the pseudo-code below. It is pseudo-code since I do not know the table structure of these forums and because it is written how I would do it in SQL for an Oracle database, not MySQL.

select forum, person, posts
from   (select forum, person, count(*) posts,
               row_number () over (partition by forum order by count(*) desc) rn
        from   table
        group  by forum, person)
where  rn <= 10
order  by forum, posts desc;

Re: Site statistics [message #489454 is a reply to message #489451] Sun, 16 January 2011 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Barbara,

I have no access to OraFAQ database, Frank gives me some extracts in 3 csv files.
These ones are anonymous as I currently don't need any name to build statistics.
Here are the description of the 3 files (as external tables (I use an Oracle database), I think the names are clear):
SQL> desc ORAFAQ_FORUM_EXT 
 Name                             Null?    Type
 -------------------------------- -------- ----------------------
 ID                                        NUMBER(38)
 FORUM_NAME                                VARCHAR2(50 CHAR)
 THREAD_CNT                                NUMBER(38)
 POST_COUNT                                NUMBER(38)

SQL> desc ORAFAQ_MEMBER_EXT
 IP                                        VARCHAR2(15 CHAR)
 MSG_COUNT                                 NUMBER(38)
 JOIN_DATE                                 NUMBER(38)

SQL> desc ORAFAQ_MSG_EXT
 ID                                        NUMBER(38)
 THREAD_ID                                 NUMBER(38)
 IP                                        VARCHAR2(15 CHAR)
 POST_STAMP                                NUMBER(38)
 FORUM_ID                                  NUMBER(38)

From them I fill the following tables to create the statistics (in short I add the country and continent I determine from IP):
SQL> desc ORAFAQ_FORUM
 ID                               NOT NULL NUMBER(38)
 FORUM_NAME                       NOT NULL VARCHAR2(50 CHAR)
 THREAD_CNT                       NOT NULL NUMBER(38)
 POST_COUNT                       NOT NULL NUMBER(38)

SQL> desc ORAFAQ_MEMBER
 IP                               NOT NULL VARCHAR2(15 CHAR)
 IP_NUM                                    NUMBER(38)
 COUNTRY                                   VARCHAR2(50 CHAR)
 CONTINENT1                                VARCHAR2(30 CHAR)
 CONTINENT2                                VARCHAR2(30 CHAR)
 CONT_ID                                   NUMBER(38)
 CONT_SID                                  NUMBER(38)
 JOIN_DATE                        NOT NULL DATE
 MSG_COUNT                        NOT NULL NUMBER(38)

SQL> desc ORAFAQ_MSG
 ID                               NOT NULL NUMBER(38)
 THREAD_ID                        NOT NULL NUMBER(38)
 FORUM_ID                         NOT NULL NUMBER(38)
 IP                               NOT NULL VARCHAR2(15 CHAR)
 IP_NUM                                    NUMBER(38)
 COUNTRY                                   VARCHAR2(50 CHAR)
 CONTINENT1                                VARCHAR2(30 CHAR)
 CONTINENT2                                VARCHAR2(30 CHAR)
 CONT_ID                                   NUMBER(38)
 CONT_SID                                  NUMBER(38)
 POST_STAMP                       NOT NULL NUMBER(38)

As IPs are something with security concern, we (Frank and I) agree that these information will not come out his database.
For the "personal statistics" I suggested here, there will be a prerequisite I didn't talk about so far but wanted to add it in a future post for those that are interested, this prerequisite is to "register" for this, that is post to Frank that he or she agrees that Frank gives me the list of IPs for this account (some persons, as I do, use several IPs, actually at my office there currently are 6 random IPs allocated to me).
So I can't currently provide what you ask but I think it is interesting. I think we should continue this part of the discussion in Moderators forum if you want to go forward.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Sun, 16 January 2011 13:39]

Re: Site statistics [message #518850 is a reply to message #489454] Mon, 08 August 2011 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I just meant to complain about lack of brand new statistics; then I thought that I could first check the Wiki pages (good for me, statistics are dated July 1 2011). Anyway, any chance to get personal statistics, as we discussed earlier? CSV format?
Re: Site statistics [message #518854 is a reply to message #518850] Mon, 08 August 2011 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You are the only one that shows any interest on this (and, in another way, Barbara for top posters per forum), so the subject was frozen (see topic http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/164922/102589/).

Regards
Michel
Re: Site statistics [message #518859 is a reply to message #518854] Mon, 08 August 2011 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Huh, I obviously forgot who provided that information - it was Frank Naude, here. I was hoping that something like that could be done again (and that you could provide it). "Top posters per forum" idea is a nice one too. What did Frank Naude say (if anything)?
Re: Site statistics [message #518866 is a reply to message #518859] Mon, 08 August 2011 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
As we were waiting for any further answer in the above topic and there was none, Frank did not say anything.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Mon, 08 August 2011 03:21]

Re: Site statistics [message #518879 is a reply to message #518866] Mon, 08 August 2011 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Well, maybe he'll say something now. Or maybe he won't.

Anyway: top posters per forum - would it be possible to display that information "real time", in a way that some forums do? OK, not necessarily "real time", but - perhaps - one day shift (if that makes things easier); you know, a materialized view that refreshes once a day, and the forum engine simply reads that "static" data.
Re: Site statistics [message #538747 is a reply to message #518879] Mon, 09 January 2012 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Forum site statistics page has been updated.

A new chart has been added: "Active members".
This chart contains 2 lines.

1/ Posting members: number of members that have posted in the quarter. Actually it is posting IPs this is a slighty more than
posting members as some members have several IPs.
A point to mention is that less and less people use modem but cable or ADSL and so more and more people have static IP address, this explains the decreasing of this line.

2/ Visiting members: number of members that have visited in the quarter. This is real members not IP; to be recorded member must have logged in (and so only registered members are recorded). Frank does not record all visits just the last visit time, so I will build this history with one point per member each quarter. This means this "line" currently have one point, for the last quarter.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Mon, 09 January 2012 04:59]

Re: Site statistics [message #538751 is a reply to message #538747] Mon, 09 January 2012 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I only see one line for posting. I don't see a line for visiting.
Re: Site statistics [message #538756 is a reply to message #538751] Mon, 09 January 2012 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Visiting "line" is currently the lone pink point at the right of the chart.
I can start this line only from now as Frank does not record this information, so you have the "single point line", just for the last quarter.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Mon, 09 January 2012 05:35]

Re: Site statistics [message #539314 is a reply to message #538756] Fri, 13 January 2012 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I updated this new chart from more accurate data Frank sent me.
I also added the average number of post per active member.
What we can see is that there are less active members but they are far more active now than half a dozen of years ago. Smile

Regards
Michel
Re: Site statistics [message #586400 is a reply to message #539314] Thu, 06 June 2013 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Statistics page has certain problems - have a look:

/forum/fa/10845/0/

Could you fix it, please?
Re: Site statistics [message #586407 is a reply to message #586400] Thu, 06 June 2013 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Just a feedback, I see it, I can't do anything, the files are there, the problem is in every page having some images, maybe a problem with the site (file system full?).
We have to wait for Frank.

Regards
Michel
Re: Site statistics [message #586409 is a reply to message #586407] Thu, 06 June 2013 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
OK, thank you!
Re: Site statistics [message #586414 is a reply to message #586409] Thu, 06 June 2013 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
I'll look into it over the weekend.

Best regards.
Frank
Re: Site statistics [message #591420 is a reply to message #586414] Sun, 28 July 2013 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
The problem still persists.

It says :
Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination
Re: Site statistics [message #595691 is a reply to message #591420] Thu, 12 September 2013 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Hi Michel,

In the OraFAQ forum homepage, at the bottom we see logged users stats, one of which is -
Most users ever online was XXXX on Day, DD Month YYYY HH24:MI

Is it possible to find the trend of maximum number of users online on the day basis. As I have observed, mostly on Tuesdays there are maximum number of posts, so, might also be, number of users online are more on Tuesdays than other week days.

Regards,
Lalit
Re: Site statistics [message #595693 is a reply to message #595691] Thu, 12 September 2013 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
These are dynamic data that are not recorded in the database (as far as I know).
I only have (had) access to (anonymized) messages information.
In addition, due to problems when site upgraded from IPv4 to IPv6, many information were lost and I then decided to no more update these pages.

Regards
Michel
Re: Site statistics [message #595694 is a reply to message #595693] Thu, 12 September 2013 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Sad

I wish if I could at least be of some use to help you in any way to update the forum stats. Moreover, it's MySQL and not Oracle, so I guess I won't be much of a use though.

Regards,
Lalit
Re: Site statistics [message #621085 is a reply to message #595694] Fri, 08 August 2014 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Michel,

Any new efforts on the site statistics? It provides really nice and practical information about lot of stuff related to the site.

I still observe that most of the posts per day are on Tuesdays or Thursdays. Regarding tuesday, perhaps posters try to overcome the Monday fever and take their own time to post on tuesdays. And regarding thursdays, perhaps posters don't want to spoil their fridays and thus post on thursday to enjoy maximum during weekend Smile
Re: Site statistics [message #631683 is a reply to message #621085] Sat, 17 January 2015 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Forum site statistics page has been updated, at last! (more accurate, less "unknown")
I added a new page (draft): Forum Statistics (forum details).

Re: Site statistics [message #631684 is a reply to message #631683] Sat, 17 January 2015 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Nice work, Michel.

The percentage share of SQL & PL/SQL forum in the forum details is consistent around ~ 42-43% in all the trends.
Re: Site statistics [message #631685 is a reply to message #631684] Sat, 17 January 2015 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

It is even closer than that, if you have a look at orafaq_msg_forum.txt in the zip file you'll find in the main page, you'll see the percentages are 42.45, 42.66, 42.03, 42.56.

Re: Site statistics [message #631687 is a reply to message #631685] Sat, 17 January 2015 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Number of active members statistics is horrifying! It was over 3000 in 2002, steady at 2000 members from 2005 to 2008, and it declines rapidly since 2008. We're at puny 500 active members at the moment. How do you explain that?
Re: Site statistics [message #631688 is a reply to message #631687] Sat, 17 January 2015 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

I don't know but you can see that average posts per active member grows from 2 to 10-14 now.
If you multiply both you get the following picture.

/forum/fa/12448/0/

Re: Site statistics [message #631690 is a reply to message #631688] Sat, 17 January 2015 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
That's nice, having people posting more messages than before.

But, I'm afraid that OraFAQ is turning into a small "private" club. You'll have 20 members, frequent posters, who will talk exclusively to each other, discussing highly scientific problems. Everything else will be FAQ, answered many times long time ago.

It is number of active members that keeps a forum alive. I've been a member of a nice, small forum. Everyone knew everyone, many of them personally. Two or three couples even got married. Finally, people just quit comming there and it died. There's still its skeleton somewhere out there, hidden behind a forgotten IP address.

Do you understand what I'm saying? We are dying.
Re: Site statistics [message #631691 is a reply to message #631690] Sun, 18 January 2015 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

You miss one point, there are now hundred of forums and blogs when there were a dozen ones 15 years ago and the number of posters did not grow in the same proportion.
For example, many Indian people post in Indian forum in their own language, these forum did not exist 10 years ago. We saw it here with people who came here to learn and then create their own blogs (often with questions and answers they found here).
Also Oracle community came public replacing Metalink forum private to Oracle customers and pulling many posters.

With 500 of active members, in this concurrent environment I don't think we are dying.

I updated the chart with data from the last century.
Re: Site statistics [message #631692 is a reply to message #631691] Sun, 18 January 2015 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I admit, you are right, except by saying Quote:

I don't think we are dying.

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure that I am dying (slowly but I can't stop nor reverse it. I'm not Benjamin Button) /forum/fa/917/0/

P.S. Off topic, but nonetheless: speaking of blogs created on this forum's discussions: it reminded me of a discussion we've had some time ago. Do you know who I saw online yesterday? DreamzZ, a moderator who last visited this board in 2008. He seems to be an "unconfirmed user" at the moment /forum/fa/1580/0/. I've checked what current users were doing yesterday - he was resetting his password, so maybe that's the reason of his current status.
Previous Topic: Login issue
Next Topic: Email notifications of new comments - broken links
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:33:03 CDT 2024