Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » URGENT!! Problem in Connecting to DBA Studio
URGENT!! Problem in Connecting to DBA Studio [message #140685] Wed, 05 October 2005 03:56 Go to next message
Sheila
Hello,

I have problem connection to oracle 8i server.
When I test service name or try to connect to DBA studio, I get the following error message:

ORA-01033: ORACLE initialiaztion or shutdown in progress

I've been using this server for 4 years but after a problem with my Server PC, I face this problem on my oracle server
Any idea would be appreciated.
Re: URGENT!! Problem in Connecting to DBA Studio [message #140706 is a reply to message #140685] Wed, 05 October 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunil_v_mishra
hi,

I hope you have backup of your database... as you are working with this database for last 4 year i also think the data present in database is very important to you but if you can reboot the machine on which your database is present (i.e server) your problem can be solved .... Frankly speaking your database is shutting down but it is not properly shutdown and as u are not able to work with this database better restart your pc on which your database is present....then check r u getting same error or not.

regards
Always friend sunilkumar
Re: URGENT!! Problem in Connecting to DBA Studio [message #140719 is a reply to message #140706] Wed, 05 October 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sheila
Thanks for immediate response
However, I have restarted the PC many times but I get the same error, besides I have restarted oracle services as well but the problem still exists.
Unfortunately, the backup is corrupted and as you have guessed the data is very important and actuall vital. Is there any way to restore 'Oradata' folder in a new installed oracle server? I mean is that possible to copy database during installation from the previous data?
Re: URGENT!! Problem in Connecting to DBA Studio [message #140746 is a reply to message #140719] Wed, 05 October 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunil_v_mishra
Dera friend,

please tell us on which operating system your database is present so that we can guide u in right direction

If its is windows server then press alt+ctl+del then click task manager in it click the process tab there u will see many process are running in that there will be oracle.exe right click on this oracle.exe and then click on end process tree.

now go to the control pannel then administrative tool then services and start your database serveice.

regards
Sunilkumar

[Updated on: Wed, 05 October 2005 08:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: URGENT!! Problem in Connecting to DBA Studio [message #140780 is a reply to message #140746] Wed, 05 October 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
Have you checked the alert log file of database?
This will enable you to know if database is started or shutting down at that moment when you are encountering this message.
Then depending on issue we can proceed further.

--Girish
Re: URGENT!! Problem in Connecting to DBA Studio [message #140892 is a reply to message #140780] Thu, 06 October 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sheila
the problem is solved!
However, I'm going to backup all data on another server. Could you please let me know what the best way is to do that?
sorry for my boring questions; I'm so beginner in oracle
Re: URGENT!! Problem in Connecting to DBA Studio [message #140897 is a reply to message #140892] Thu, 06 October 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

Depends on the type of database you are using , you can backup in two ways ,

COLD backup (offline DB down) or HOT backup (online , DB running) .

and even then MANUALLY or using RMAN .
If you can bear the downtime for the database then go for a closed valid backup and if you can't then go for an online backup.

and even this link will serve your purpose.
Re: URGENT!! Problem in Connecting to DBA Studio [message #140907 is a reply to message #140897] Thu, 06 October 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunil_v_mishra
hi,

To take backup please refer the link present in my reply.

Note:- It is better to take backup by RMAN as u said in your earlier mail that u r new to oracle so i want to tell you that when u install oracle 8i RMAN was also install

As u r working on 8i the syntax that you will find in the below given link will differ coz below link is for 9i and above version .

Refer below link to do RMAN
===========================
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/51450/67993/

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/51126/67993/

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/51455/67993/

regards
Always Friend Sunilkumar
Re: URGENT!! Problem in Connecting to DBA Studio [message #140936 is a reply to message #140907] Thu, 06 October 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sheila
Thanks for useful guidelines
BTW, is there any way to make the second server a mirror of the first one? I haven't found any proper document to do that? Is there any software to manage that automatically?
Re: URGENT!! Problem in Connecting to DBA Studio [message #140953 is a reply to message #140936] Thu, 06 October 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunil_v_mishra
hi,

There is a concept of standby database .... standby daatabase is same as your primary database in case if your primary database goes down then ur user can connect to the standby server ....standby database is made to assist disaster recovery and standby database must be loacted at different physical location from primary database.
but before you think of knowing standby database u should make your concept clear regarding RMAN ...Smile.

regards
sunilkumar

Re: URGENT!! Problem in Connecting to DBA Studio [message #140960 is a reply to message #140953] Thu, 06 October 2005 07:27 Go to previous message
tarundua

--> BTW, is there any way to make the second server a mirror of the first one ?

As sunil said you can implement Standby database (also called as data guards) for that purpose.

--> I haven't found any proper document to do that?

Here is the one for reference, read
[url=www.orafaq.com/forum/t/52705/72347/]this post

--> Is there any software to manage that automatically?

Oracle provides a tool called Data Guard Manager
The Oracle Data Guard Manager is the GUI that automates many of the tasks involved in creating, configuring, and monitoring a Data Guard environment

regards,
tarun
Previous Topic: cannot startup 10gR2: ORA-01092 + ORA-00704 + ORA-39700
Next Topic: TEMP Tablespace Space
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 06:02:06 CDT 2024